1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Advice!

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by Neil, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Neil

Neil New Contributor

I am a forum member (who trained and started to give it a go a few years back) who had to give up tiling due to a knee operation which made it impossible to continue professionally, but follow the posts as I still have a great respect for the profession. However, I am going to do my new bathroom as I have time and the desire but have a few questions if I may !

I will be tanking the shower area (Its Aquapanel around the shower area plasterboard the rest) and intend to use a good adhesive on the walls such as Whitestar or Weberfix WR (only because I used these before). Tiles are 600x300 ceramics.

Q1 - for the plasterboard areas do I need to prime if I use either of the above adhesives.
    Q2 - Di I need to back butter tiles of this size and type or just use the correct notched trowel ?

Your advice would be great and much appreciated !

Thanks !

2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Serious Contributor

Unfortunately your choice of adhesive is not suitable for that size tile. I'm not aware of a ready mixxed addy that is i'm afraid

3. Dean

Dean Serious Contributor

As above

4. Neil

Neil New Contributor

i did wonder with this size tile - As I can only get Weber easily, would a Weber.set SPF be suitable and I guess I would have to prime first ?

AMA Tiling likes this.
  5. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Serious Contributor

Yes the weber will be fine. Prime the plasterboard, new aqua panel shouldn't need it but check the datasheets just in case.

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

May i ask what brand of tanking you intend to use might help

7. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

White Weber set SPF is much nicer to use than the grey btw.

8. Neil

Neil New Contributor

Jay-Weber sys protec
    Mark - was going for white as I have light tiles but wondering why white is nicer to use ?!

9. Grace's Dad

It's got a much finer sand and mixes up really nicely. It's a great adhesive for wall tiling.

AMA Tiling and Neil like this.
  10. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Best to stick with what they recommend over the tanking

11. Ceramico

Ceramico New Contributor

Yeah White Star sounds budget,,I wouldn't even use it on a backsplash!

12. Grace's Dad

There's nowt budget about WhiteStar! It's as good a tubbed adhesive as any you'll find.

branty1uk and Albert like this.
  13. Ceramico

Ceramico New Contributor

I still wouldn't use tubbed stuff on anything.

14. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

I suppose you haven't tried Ardex D20 or D30 then?

15. Grace's Dad

I use it very very rarely but it has its uses. Mosaics are great with Whitestar, and recently I did a few shower cubicles with Ardex WPC and Whitestar.
    It felt strange not mixing my adhesive but it was good to use and as a bonus I got four nice grout tubs afterwards!

16. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

17. Ceramico

Ceramico New Contributor

If I was to use tubbed stuff then it would deffo be the Ardex,,To be honest my dislike of tubbed adhesives has prevented me from experimenting with different brands etc, I may well be wrong about the certain types,,presumably the Ardex.. As one cant deny that Ardex is fantastic.