1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique Bourgogne Octagonal Floor

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by johnny, Jul 24, 2013.

1. johnny

johnny Serious Contributor

thought i would share this very interesting job we are doing in hampstead.
    client has bought this old floor from a reclamation yard in france who recommend me to fix their old reclaimed stone floors.
    tiles are 33cm octagonal with black slate cabachon and border .
    reclaimed from the gendarmerie(police station ) in nantes france.
    they were 35 -40mm thick but have been ground down to roughly 20mm as there was a finished height issue.
    we will be reducing border thickness on site.
    another batch of 30cm octagons from palais de justice paris arriving tommorrow and then we will sort that batch out before laying.
    we selected 28 sq mts of the finer pieces from a 38 sq mts so have 10 sq mts left over to do the cellar.
    loose laid the whole floor for client for approval before laying. Some stones were switched around as they are very sizey. i think they were cut on site with a hand saw when first laid and very difficult to get them back together with reasonably tight joint.
    3 man days to select 28 sq mts and dry lay.
    another client bought the other job lot reclaimed from same place but i did not get the job of fixing it in ireland unfortunately. maybe one of our members did it!! 130.JPG 131.JPG 135.JPG 136.JPG 142.JPG 144.JPG 138.JPG

Peter, Ceramico, Viva Tiling and 8 others like this.
  2. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

That looks like a real headache, will look awsome when all done.

3. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

Very nice Jonny, Ireland you say?:)

What's the plan for finishing? left antique or a grind down and polish?

4. johnny

the job in ireland was not far from athlone .
    there were loads of different old floors to re install and a fantastic job for someone.
    i think that i was too expensive with travel costs etcc.

5. johnny

dave , i emailed you last week to see if you were interested in staining another marble floor in orangerie but did not hear back from you.
    i have now contacted amir patwa and he is dealing direct with designer.
    there is some very tasty work going on here

6. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi Johnny,

I don't think I've received anything, I'll check my office machine when I get back. I have that unique problem of not being able to book anyone in for about 12 months, simply flooded with work.

7. johnny

thats great news for you.
    i wont send any more leads until i hear you are in a position to lok at any more work.
    i do find it strange dave though that your website has no contact tel no.
    you may be real busy now but that may not always be the case.

8. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

I've not had a phone number on there for years, everyone will tell you I don't answer phones :D

9. johnny

The stone fixer who got the job in Ireland was Tom Vaughan.
    Anyone know him. I assume he lives in Ireland.

10. johnny

loose laid and fixed borders today and half cabachons.
    we have had to recut 30 % of cabachons in main floor which is quite strange.
    it must be to do with the fact that the dimension of tiles can be 325-8 one way and 335 other ways cross measurement and if they were cut to suit on site they would have locked in together well even though not accurate but when reclaimed we just got ll the tiles in a load of crates.
    i think that if i had not loose laid the floor before fixing we would be in trouble now.
    borders may look uneven at back but this is not relevent.
    i have kitchen drawing which shows dimensions to face of units and plinth set back in certain runs and i have set out the borders which are of different depths making sure they are covered by plinths.
    depth of borders governed by where the last whole tile sits in parallel to each run of units.
    ie we have a 290 border on cooker run and 230 border on opposite side, but this does 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG mean that the whole floor of main field tiles finishes on a whole tile and half cabachon which is what the client wants rather than an even border depth but then cutting in to cabachons.

Lee@TileTown and AOS Tiling like this.
  11. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Im liking that.

12. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

I think that's going to look lovely when it's finished.

Is the customer a member of the more money than sense club?

13. johnny

Well it is certainly not cheap but customer is very clear on what he wants and has spent 3 years doing complete refurb of house.
    I have never seen so many samples of reclaimed stone but I think he has a great floor in the making.i very rarely get an octagonal floor of this size .
    Have spent more time in selection and set out with what came in the order than actual fixing but customer preferred dry lay and option to move stone around before fixing.
    He has a very good understanding that we have what we have and it is making best use of material that is key
    Very different than laying standard honed limestone.

Grace's Dad and Freeze like this.
  14. Ebberns Tile Centre

Ebberns Tile Centre Tiling Product Supplier

#amazeballs!

15. Lee@TileTown

Lee@TileTown Tiling Product Supplier

Johny should have a "master craftsman" under his forum tag instead of Professional Tile Fixer!

Top draw work. :)

johnny and Grace's Dad like this.
  16. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic Job Johnny. I love customers who are interested - I mean really interested in the whole process and who have an understanding.

johnny likes this.
  17. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

It's also helpful (particularly when it comes to presenting the invoice) they understand they are employing an artisan, not just someone "who sticks down tiles".

I used to do a lot of reclaimed French Terracotta which was in fashion 20+ years ago. It was the same laborious process, days of picking, cleaning and setting out. The setting bit was then relatively fast.

18. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Class piece of workmanship Johnny, reminds me of a hexagonal terracotta floor I done months ago in Gosford Castle.
    I had sizing issues there too and had step to bullnose etc too.
    It's lovely to get these jobs, I'm heading back to castle in a week or so for another part.

19. johnny

Quite unusual this job as I usually select stone or terracotta for size and ,colour and surface finish and then explain to client what proportions of which I am proposing to get the best overall look.
    This time I have charged an hourly rate to sort and actually loose lay whole floor in set out modules for approval.
    This has given the chance for client to move tiles around and when agreed we have simply peeled back tiles and set in agreed place on floor.
    This way there has been no frustration on either side and client can take his time to a degree.

Whose reclaimed terracotta did you used to fix 20 years ago.?

20. johnny

You should be doing the other batch of this reclaimed stone. I quoted but was too expensive with travel and accommodation etcc.

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling likes this.