1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Are You Certified?

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Had a call today from a visitor to the forum. She had a failed waterproofed shower and wanted to know how she might go about checking if her tiler was even certified. His website says he is but never showed his card when starting the job..
    Once again if he isn't certified the homeowner really needs to sight and ensure the tradesman is what he says he is.
    The problem will need to be rectified by the tiler as he is responsible for the work he carried out, that's common sense but the customer still has to bear some responsibility for who they employ.
    For goodness sakes a little bit of research and investigation can reduce the chance of any problems later on.

How are you guys for being certified. Your customer can ask for a producer statement for both product and tradesmen. If you aren't certified the customer won't get any manufacturers guarantee.
    I know what some of you will say and it's true you may have been applying liquid membranes for ages without any trouble but you won't get the backing of the products manufacturer if it's a product failure.
    A new code of practice for internal wet areas is about to be released so hopefully once and for all time we will have some rules that will protect both our customers and ourselves.

If you aren't certified why not sit a course. It won't cost anything but your time. Late last year we had a course for Ardex and an hour and a half with BBQ and beers on a Friday afternoon went down well and now we can recommend those tilers as certified ARDEX applicators.
    How have you benefitted from sitting a course ? Apart from the free food and beers that is.
    If you aren't certified you can just ask your local tile store to arrange a course for the product you use, it's as simple as that.

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Certified with two products and another next month new building regs require you to sign off on all waterproofing with cert number (silly part is the builder can sign off on it too without cert number)

3. Bob Neary

The way it should be.

4. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Is that because like in the UK, builders are gods?

jay likes this.
  5. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

They must think the same

if a builder wants to do his own waterproofing he can sign off on it he can also sign off on it if he trusts his tiler to save paper work but if something goes wrong the one who signs wears it

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

The current forms to fill out IMG [1280x768].jpg IMG_0001 [1280x768].jpg

7. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I think it's a disgrace that we have no such system in the UK. :(

8. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

only been in here in the last 2 years and only on new builds

9. Frank

Frank New Contributor

jay, that form is well outdated. AS 3740 was updated in 2010. The 2004 version is no longer valid.

10. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

They are the current ones Frank just signed of on 4 units this month one is the building inspectors (Bradon)the other is new this year from the Master Builders Association goes to show how up to date they are

Nicely spotted tho i missed it thanks

DavidCarr likes this.
  11. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Agree Mark. There's such a lack of knowledge and far too many risk takers bluffing their way out there. Was informed by a builder of a pending 'pumped screed, solid following day, flat as a pancake, not sure what it is called' on a job I've been asked to do. You know what's in me head after hearing that description. I suggested he get more info from his installer. He assured me the 'last tiler' worked on it after a week, no problems!

As it happens, I won the job off the back of 3 bathrooms, all tanked by me after client sacked original fixer who had 'been doing it his way for years'! There's a trend here!

12. Bob Neary

We have similar, they're called Producer Statements.
    Actually quite handy if the builder is getting behind in payments. No money, no producer statement, no producer statement, no final sign off by council, you get the picture!
    I'm not sure about now but there was no requirement to produce any training certification. So doesn't do much in my opinion.

13. Protilers

Protilers Guest

Certification is a non starter in the UK.....but I have been TRAINED by the major manafactures of tanking systems and underfloor heating systems........you know who they are.....
    and that is why I refuse to discuss tanking systems or underfloor heating on any forum.......people read my (our) posts and think thats easy......its not helped by the newcomers (mansfacturers)
    to the market as they pump wetrooms and underfloor heating as a DIY product.....
    the problem (for me) is that I get calls from customers that have had a wetroom (or underfloor heating for thst matter) installed and it has failed........
    and it is a simple tech reason for the failure..........you know....wrong adhesive....fired up immidiatly....no tanking.....etc.etc.etc.....

really gets my goat!.......

Lee

14. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

We could do with them in the UK Bob. While there are many ways to achieve the desired result be it waterproofing, substrate preperation etc, installers should be accountable and be obliged to clearly state which system they have used.This can then be kept as a record and in the event of failure, there's a trail that can be followed which would hopefully determine the cause of failure be it installer or product manufacturer. It would also make consumers more aware. The number of failures that I see where the client has assumed that the failure is purely down to wear and tear over time is high. Original installer doesn't get called back so continues to naively believe his/her system is fail proof.

15. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Have an update on the forms ,spoke to the boys from Bradon today the form is going to be re written with the correct info and standards

Didn't worry about the masterbuilders leave that to the big boys