1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Back Butter Buddy

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by V-ta Tiling (John), Jul 12, 2013.

1. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

....but I'll just let everyone know first o_O:rolleyes:

Colour Republic likes this.
  2. cptiling

cptiling Junior Contributor

I'm thinking sat on boxes of tiles could be easier. If you have a few tiles on the BBB and need to get access to the bucket you will have to remove these, could be too much messing about. Also when my labourer is back buttering, I would need 2 buckets as I would have one with me as I'm laying. I'm thinking the sitting on a bucket isn't a priority.
    I don't think the tool would need cleaning during the day, it's only ever in contact with the tile face.

Protilers and Mark@CTD like this.
  3. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

I guess its down to how each of us work but I wpuld want the BBB within reach of where I am fixing, just like I place the required amount if tiles to be fixed, within reach. If I placed it on a stack of tiles each time, the labour involved would defeat the purpise of having the BBB.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow night and have the following buckets to hand:
    McPherson Paint
    Bal Mixing
    Bal Whitestar
    Schluter
    Ultra

Between the 12 of us, we'll find a bucket - then watch ebay fly! Could it be that the man who finds the bucket makes a bigger killing than poor ole Phil who put so much R&D into his product! Only teasing!

Andy Carroll likes this.
  4. Protilers

Protilers Guest

Evening Mark.......

maybe i wanted to give Phil some good news from a major supplier that I know......that might be interested in seeing the BBB.....
    or maybe as he sent them over for us FOC, I might have wanted to give him some "constructive" advice about the BBB....

or maybe......

anyway.....

nite nite....

AMA Tiling likes this.
  5. Grace's Dad

Nite nite Lee.

(you strange carrot!)

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Speaking of carrots Lee might of found a use for the BBB in the bedroom pretty sure we dont want to know about that :)

7. T'T

T'T Junior Contributor

Quick question for all do you all sit the tile flat on your hand to back butter a tile?? If so why? I've never done that myself or seen anyone do it. Let alone spin it that's just (and I'm sorry to the bloke who posted the video I don't mean any offence if that's the way you were shown and everyone over that way does it then that's the way!) stupid!

8. Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll Serious Contributor

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374692522.048099.jpg

9. Grace's Dad

With large format I normally rest them on my feet and back butter them while I am bent over the tile. just prior to fixing them down.
    That's just me though...o_O

AMA Tiling likes this.
  10. Peter

Peter Junior Contributor

I often feel like a pizza boy when spinning 600s on my hand for buttering. Bucket when I'm feeling lazy.

AMA Tiling likes this.
  11. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Peter,
    I understand that - But what about doing 500 sq.ft? Still think it's fun?
    Wait until you try the BBB, you'll like it I'm sure ;)

12. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

Lol, but isn't that one of the skills of tiling. For some reason I can vividly recall my dad showing me how to spin the tiles in one hand and spread with the other. It's a habit I got into and 99% of everything I tile now is back buttered.

13. AMA Tiling

Lol Mc pherson paint, have a few of them in reserve for mixing SLC haha. Need to find something stronger in fairness. One of these days the handles going to..... Well you know wat I mean :) messy!!!

14. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Gentlemen, Can someone measure the INSIDE diameter of your most common buckets?
    I have already developed an adapter for the BBB to fit but I need to know that measurement
    before we make them. AOS measured 28cm INSIDE- Is that your most common?

15. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Would be better if it was a taller bucket 20 lt as it would be a better height to work with

AMA Tiling likes this.
  16. AMA Tiling

I'd imagine you'd want a bucket used only for that job. You're i b bucket always going to have adhesive round the edge so it would be tedious cleaning the underside/lip of the BBB and taking it on and off. I suppose there's the argument that its something else you need to lift and move as you go ( floors anyway). Still I like the idea of it though.

17. Grace's Dad

Got to be a BAL mixing bucket. Most readily available to most of us and the strongest.

18. AMA Tiling

Lol, don't see many floating about here. Danny???

19. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Yes???

20. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

I'll see if I can get in touch with BAL and get the dimensions right from them. Thanks Mark.
    Has anyone got to USE the BBB yet? Looking for pictures or video. You can send them directly to me if you
    like.