1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Back Butter Buddy

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by V-ta Tiling (John), Jul 12, 2013.

1. V-ta Tiling (John)

V-ta Tiling (John) Junior Contributor

I'll gladly send pictures and videos when I eventually get my hands on mine. I'm in Turkey at the moment and I'm hoping Rays still got mine for when I pick it up Tuesday week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice New Contributor

I have one Phil and will be using it on a job starting Monday, I will take some pics and a video if I can get someone to film me using it. Thanks for the product trial and thanks to Ray for posting it out.

DavidCarr likes this.
  3. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

Many thanks to Phil for sending this out, and kudos to Ray for forwarding this to me in sparkling Christmas paper:thumbsup:
    Well I went out to take a few pics of the buckets in the garage. I have to agree that it would be much better if it would sit on a bucket for the reasons stated above.
    The buckets in question
    DSC_0204.jpg
    Three of the ready mixed buckets, though from three different manufacturers, were identical, and seemed to be a generic bucket most tilers would have about them, As you'll see they are slightly too small for the BBB, at 280mm (275 internal)
    DSC_0205.jpg DSC_0206.jpg I also had an empty emulsion paint bucket, again fairly standard and easily available to most tilers, this was larger,at 295mm, but again was too small for the BBB
    DSC_0207.jpg DSC_0208.jpg
    The larger Larsen bucket was too big for the BBB, but as I was given these for mixing in, and I have never seen them before, they may be an odd size

Phil, if future models could have the recess on the underside widened slightly, so that it was able to accomodate both these buckets, It would fit a greater range of buckets available to tilers, yes it won't be a tight fit on some, but does it need to be?
    Or a few of the non-slip "dots" on the underside also, and do this??.....
    DSC_0202.jpg I'll try it on site next week and see how we get on
    Andrew

4. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Great pictures Andrew! I get it. We are working on a solution. I get it now that the BBB is TO WIDE for most of your buckets there. The adapter that I am working on would still have the US Standard size of approx 300mm on top but would STEP down 10mm at a time, three times. Does that make sense to you?
    The first step would fit a 290mm bucket , then 280mm then 270mm. We have gotten the BBB to Australia
    too so I anticipate the same situation there as well.

5. Dave@BTC

Dave@BTC Tiling Product Supplier

Unless I'm missing something here can't you just make the thing a bit bigger with a flat non slip rubber bottom so it fits every bucket in the universe?

6. ray

ray Superb Contributor

ok most buckets taper as the go down so with a little modifaction fits like a glove heres some pic ;)

Attached Files:

V-ta Tiling (John) and jay like this.
  7. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Serious Contributor

Now pick the bucket up full of water;)

Close but no cigar

Andy Carroll likes this.
  8. ray

ray Superb Contributor

anythink else:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Colour Republic

:Lol:

Yeah now put it on your head!

Not practical to move around on a job though is it? What are the actual measurements of groove to groove mate?

10. ray

ray Superb Contributor

well i cant see it being a problem to move about on a job i would keep another bucket for water as i would not want to keep taking the lid on and off all day long and i would clean as i went along so that makes more sense to me

11. Colour Republic

That was always my worry about this tool. Fine in a large area but in a lot of domestic settings its just one extra thing in the room. Personally I want the least amount in the room at any time so I'm out.

12. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Nice to see someone thinking rather than winging
    nice one Ray

ray, V-ta Tiling (John) and Albert like this.
  13. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Anyone else have a chance to USE the BBB yet?
    I saw Lee's video and it shows that it will live up to my claims.
    I have been in contact with a few suppliers over there and have already made revisions to the original tool to accommodate ANY bucket worldwide.I want to Thank everyone that helped HERE on this forum by making me aware of the fact that "Standard" is NOT universal.

Protilers and DavidCarr like this.
  14. cptiling

cptiling Junior Contributor

I used it the today with some 600x 300's. I sat it on some boxes of tiles and buttered 4 at a time and it worked perfectly. It thought it was a useful tool, although I found it to be no quicker than spinning the tile on my hand on this occasion. I do however think this tool will be a time saver and a back saver when doing large format tiles, and I believe on large jobs where I have a labourer, this tool will be used frequently!

Phil likes this.
  15. Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice New Contributor

I've been using mine for the last few days and have to say that it is quite a useful device, however I'm not sure it's something I'd use overly often. It does require a fair bit of room especially with a large tile, I definitely don't think it would be usable in a small area such as a bathroom or utility room. I was doing a kitchen floor and found it handy for the open areas but when space got a bit tight, I had to return to buttering while resting the tile on the floor. Another thing I found on day one was that I wasn't rotating the stack of tiles while buttering, just spreading from front to back, that's obviously a habit that I've developed, so I made a conscious effort to make sure I spun the tool whilst buttering and found it enabled to get coverage right to the edges. I also couldn't find a bucket it would fit on, so put it on an upturned schluter bucket, to be honest I don't understand the whole bucket idea as I never had any less than 3 tiles on the tool so the contents of the bucket wouldn't be accessible, in my opinion it is better suited to being sat on a hop up or similar. I've taken a couple of pics and comically, the one of the tile buttered isn't to the edges! Must try harder!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375293869.080001.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375293894.529525.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375293915.997810.jpg

In conclusion, I do think it has a place in the tiling world and I do think I will use it again but, if it ever broke or got lost, I'm not sure I'd bother to replace it. Having said that, all of my work is domestic and generally any floors I do aren't any larger than 30 m2, possibly on a large floor it could be a real time saver, I'm starting a 90 m2 floor soon so will give it another go and report back with my findings, I don't think it's really a fair review when all I've done is a 15 m2 kitchen floor with it. Once again, thanks to Phil and Ray for getting these products into the UK and distributing them.

16. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Hello AGAIN Friends,
    I found this old thread and wanted to jump back in with a few updates. We are planning to approve the revision to the
    existing BBB so it will fit certain size buckets either Metric/Standard. I was hoping that SOMEONE could contact/find
    "LEE" to see if I might get a copy or link to the video they did a while ago. Looks like they took it OFF you tube.
    One of the gentlemen from this Forum " Albert" did get a BBB to David at TradeTilers and we will see where it goes from there.
    Almost all of the concerns that were posted here were about the fact it DIDN'T fit onto your buckets , NOT that the tool didn't work
    as I claimed. The one I use almost everyday is about 2 years old and still in great condition. Even though it is a plastic tool, it will
    hold up to your needs and at the price point, a very reasonable investment. I hope to SEE more pictures or video from others from this
    forum that are using the BBB.

17. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

Does anyone here of this FORUM know Ian Harrison?

18. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

19. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

YES, Albert. That is him. He is trying to get his hands on a BBB over there. I was hoping someone that is not using the ones I sent there could help me out with this?

20. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

I sent mine to Dave, so i cant help you i'am afraid.