1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basalt Tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by Anjor, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Anjor

Anjor Junior Contributor

Big babies too, 25mm thick at least 600x800 at a glance. Going outside too.

A heads up on potential issues, adhesive pointers, sealing, etc all welcomed. :geek:

2. westerhope tiles

westerhope tiles Tiling Product Supplier

tena flex by kerrakol mixed it a bit thicker and it will work a treat

3. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

4. Anjor

Anjor Junior Contributor

Mmm, read about issues with staining elsewhere.

5. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Be careful with adhesive colour too it can stain too.
    I'v never fitted any but was asked about it by someone laying some lately.
    I was acually fitting 20mm Crystal white marble lately and i could see the adhesive bleeding through, it did dry out well though luckily.

6. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Anjor,

Here is an example of what can go wrong - a mixture of fixer error /lack of knowledge and budget sealer being used.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366820618.356478.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366820639.886510.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366820661.663432.jpg

Fixer used white slow setting adhesive, pre-sealed a single time prior to fixing. Sealed it a single time after fixing. Wet UFH was on during installation and then day after final single seal, decided to 'protect' it by covering the warm, newly installed, badly sealedfloor with plastic sheating!!!!

I was called out and Jason at Universeal gave me a solution to the problem. Put in my quote to put it right and client repliedasking if their was a cheaper way to fix it....... yes, in hindsight, employ a proper tiler!!

Jason will give to good advice but the main thing with Basalt is that it can be very fond of sealer and will need more than a single application

7. Anjor

Anjor Junior Contributor

Excellent information, many thanks

8. Freeze

Freeze Serious Contributor

I have seen endless problems with basalt over the years, in my opinion one of the most problematic stones to work with, that coupled with the fact that a lot of quarries die their stone as well, if they go wrong they can be an absolute nightmare to sort, I know lads that won't even touch it now.

9. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

Interesting, have never fitted it but some useful points made there. Wasnt aware they dyed some of it, surely that's a recipe for trouble, especially for the fixer as its usually his/her ass that gets the kick if it turns pear shaped. Bet it's beautiful if its quality stuff and laid correctly.

10. Freeze

Freeze Serious Contributor

Adrian, it's a beautiful stone, just very problematic, to the inexperienced, and I don't mean an inexperienced tiler, inexperienced in basalt, I went to look at a job last year, which had similar problems to the photos Andy has shown, they had stripped back, took a lot of the colour out, and any water what so ever was just staining the stone, another feature with basalt is the microscopic pores, have seen a fair few good tiling jobs go pear shaped after grouting, look spotless when wet, but terrible when dry, I am only referring to the dark honed basalts, these are the problematic ones.

johnny and AMA Tiling like this.
  11. johnny

johnny Serious Contributor

I've never had a problem with basalt but I may have been lucky.
    Always uses rapid fast white and stinstop mn.
    I have had plenty of problems with Pietra serena though.
    I have turned down countless jobs over the years since my first problem with it and even when I gave it another go last year after 15 year gap still got dreadful staining from grout and stone pre sealed twice plus three times more by me before grouting!

12. Anjor

Anjor Junior Contributor

Finally finished this job. This pond job was a bit of a favour fitted in between already booked work, so a combination of having to do it when I could and needing decent weather meant it dragged on a little more than I was happy with. The tiles were 25mm thick and the customer didn't want them sealing. Nothing has bled through though, too thick I think.

Anyhoo, a portion of it had already been fixed by a previous tiler, so I was following on (so to speak)

Started on the pond base;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the overflow section;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tanking obviously works, as I arrived to find this one day;

[​IMG]

Anyway, it ended up like this;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I did some entrance steps at the front too;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was nice being outside for a change to be honest.

13. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Came up nice well done

14. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

I have some Basalt samples which were installed in an up market flats on Hyde Park , Park Lane London. Million pound night mare but I will be on this project until NHS yellow van picks me up for transfer to Millhill cemetery !!!
    Will have for view on 27th July brain storming.

15. Peter

Peter Junior Contributor

Looks well Anjor. Shame so much of it will be covered.

Very temperamental stone to work with but looks lovely when done. Needs a waterbased sealer though. Only laid it once in a bathroom and had four coats of Fila W68 on front back and sides before I stuck a tile and then another two coats after. Wouldn't be rushing to do another one to be honest. It's the sort of thing that due to the looks of it, only a tiler or someone in the know would recognize it as anything special other than just 'a tile'.