1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Diversify To ...underfloor Heating

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Ive been taking a closer look at UFH lately and a thread in the UK forum has reminded me.
    Just some questions for anyone in NZ really. Ive never had to install this and doubt I ever will now, but was shown late last year once and it doesn't look that hard to install. As long as you have the right cable and know how to set it out. How many of you guys have installed UFH? Does including this aspect to your Repertoire of skills give you a better chance to win a job based on the customer has a one stop tradesman to complete everything.
    I know they will still need a sparky to connect it up but surely it would be cheaper to get just one person to work all the stages of the total installation without having to depend on another tradesman to come into their home.
    Can you increase your profit from the job? If so it might be worth considering taking it on.
    (If anyone wants to discuss the money side if things with this just post your comments here http://www.tilingforum.co.uk/forums/nz-trade-only-area.46/#axzz2CxFUmneM In the NZ Trade only where members only will see these discussions.)
    The reason I've mentioned the financial benefits is that I believe a lot of work gets taken from you guys by those in other trades simply because it's easier for joe Bloggs to get one tradesman to do the lot and cheaper.
    For some they do a good job, but many cannot and leave the homeowner with a mess.
    So how much of the job can you do? Do you offer a comprehensive service from say, gib and underlay fixing, brick substructure, UFH, screeding, waterproofing and tiling?
    Is there anything else you do? I'm not talking about plastering and painting if you don't feel confident but if it's another skill you do or can acquire, then why not use those skills to earn a better wage.
    As Tiler myself on the other side of the counter in the store I'm always looking for ways to assist the tradesmen.
    If I know what you guys need anything special I'll do my best to get it in for you. The same goes for training. If we know that some of you want to learn a different aspect of the trade then we can arrange that by setting up a Trade Demo for a few hours with an expert to get you started. So keep that in mind guys im sure if you approach your local store with a similar request, they will assist you.

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Over here in Tas Bob the tiler cannot install it now must be installed by a sparkey

3. mcdongle

mcdongle New Contributor

We use Devi, Lay it all out, pull cables up through the wall and get a sparky to connect . Its fairly easy as long as you get the right size mat.

Dean Nicholl and Bob Neary like this.
  4. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that. We stock Devi and wondered how easy it is to install. Not even sure of the price structure. How does it compare to others?
    Must give them a call tomorrow. See what we can get them in for the guys.
    How did you learn to install? Easy to pick up?

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Auckland Area Manager - Tile Direct

Funny you should bring this up now. I have had the owner of Warmfloor in my shop last week and he has put together these easy DIY Heat Kits which have been really good for our tilers and easy to install. I am going to be running an installation course with Peter in January next year for some of our guys who are looking to add this to their skill set and a lot of them are keen. From what I know, Warmfloor is much more competitively priced than Devi and their back up is scond to none. The owner is an electrician himself and has designed this product specifically for easier installation and every kit comes with a cable monitor so you can test that the cable isn't damaged when you have installed it.

6. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

I'd suggest to have a multimeter in your kit for testing UFH cables. Every system with tell you what the ohm reading should be - info either on cables, packing or in installation manual. I check the reading after unpacking, after laying, after pouring latex and after or during tiling. Keep a record of the reading, show client reading upon completion which proves wires are intact, spark then connects and issues cert (UK). Multimeters can be bought for as little as £15 sterling - I had one, not very reliable leading me to have a few panics when it failed to give me a reading!!!! I now have one that cost around £100 and it never lets me down.

I fix at least one system per month and on probably 1:2 floors. Nice add-on and adds a nice margin.

Jacqui likes this.
  7. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

...and any customer who hasn't had ufh before will think you are amazing once they start to enjoy it.
    (you never forget your first time with ufh!)

8. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Been back to do a glass backsplash today in a kitchen where I fixed 22sq/m of UFH a few months back. The lady of the house is loving it! Put in a 200 watt per sq/m system over Marmox insulation and while it was overspeced for a kitchen, I coudn't guarantee it would provide sole source heating as i had no way of knowing how well her walls were insulated - she's gettng sole source, running at 20 degrees and no rads. The 200 watt systems are actually cheaper to run as they heat up faster. It's the initial heating up time that eats into the electricity.

9. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

You're right Andrew.
    I tell them - "you can't beat laying naked on a warm tiled floor."
    (Just watch for bum prints on the polished porcelain though)

Dean Nicholl and Bob Neary like this.
  10. mcdongle

mcdongle New Contributor

Hi Bob learnt by watching others and yes it is easy to do just requires a bit of thought before you start.

11. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

PLEASE!!!!! No pics

12. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

Yes I also fit Devi mats when needed but Sparkies can do it much cheaper as the mats are expensive so I always steer my clients that way and they love the honesty and saving a few bucks. Always repeat work!!;).
    I just bought a decent Grinder Vacuum system and do a lot of uplift and grinding,,,Now that is good money most of the time.