1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Do We Need A Tiling Association?

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Oct 5, 2012.

1. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Thanks for clearing those costs up Gary, my figure was not a typo, just a figure that I came to believe after hearing it quoted so many times. Chinese Whispers eh! Apologies folks.

As for the £900 fee - ironically I got a call from my client today and his investment paid off, rogue will pay up and I win the job to refit!

Gary - want to share your opinion on TTA membership? You are a member?

2. Frank

Frank New Contributor

Before you get your knickers in a twist again, believe it or not I know more than one tiler. If you were the tiler I was referring to I would have said 12 Google pages. Because I know you to be easily offended, I deliberately didn't make reference to you and I'll accept your apology.

3. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

If there has been any misunderstanding then I'm sure you guys are more than capable to see it for just that, a misunderstanding.
    Please don't make it more than that guys.

AOS Tiling and DavidCarr like this.
  4. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Say what you think Frank i know you were refereeing to me

this will go into conversation between Me and Frank for the sake of the forum

jay

5. Phil Hobson

Phil Hobson Serious Contributor

Hi Andrew, I do sit on the fixer training committee, although I can't always attend the meetings as much as I would like to, being a one man band, I try, but as you say it costs a days lack of earnings plus fuel etc.

TTA was formerly the national master tile fixers association, my commitment to this industry leads me to do anything I can to put some real skill back into our trade. I hate to see our skills being diluted so much by these four week training courses. At least TTA vet colleges who are providing tiling training.

No association can be all things to all people, but I find being a member beneficial in many ways, technical updates, latest product info, the biggest cause of failures imo is lack of knowledge. Anything that improves the image of good tradesmen must be a good thing. Having said that, I would like to see some more regulations being put in place, licence if you like.

I get so angry to see some of these so called tilers prospering, while some top craftsmen struggle.

6. garythetiler

garythetiler Serious Contributor

my opinion on the tile association is its a group of very committed hardworking individuals who genuinely want to get the best for the tiling trade, there are lots of different parts of the tiling industry represented in one trade body,the manufacturers have their interests about promoting their respective brands ,the distributors and shops will also want their say ,I would like to see more tilers as members and believe if the majority of tilers were members the association would have the financial and political influence to lobby the government for better training, liscensing of the domestic market and any other issue facing the tiling industry. I had several reasons on why I decided to join,the technical guides was a big one ,being listed on the website was another(marketing of my brand) and business networking was the 3rd .for what it costs the benefits far out way the price .

jay, AOS Tiling, Phil Hobson and 2 others like this.
  7. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

My view/ A Tilers Association should be made up of tilers and adh manufactures but mainly tilers
    reason i think the tiler is getting over looked and being told what goes were (tiles waterproofing ect) Tiling is a trade and the customer or builder should listen to an experienced tradesman who has been in the game and knows the trade,

Can see it working Bobby over there in NZ just needs the right footings so it doesn't go wrong

8. Bob Neary

It's the tilers that are making a noise about it here so far. You're right it has to be about the tilers and what they do. But I believe that there has to be legislation to assist the association towards making the needed changes in the industry. Will anyone speak up? Will anyone listen? Only time will tell.

9. AOS Tiling

if the UK is a benchmark, then while you may here regular crys from tilers for leglislation and action to be taken against the rogues etc and statements on how an assocciation should work, when the opportunity to have a voice and maybe make a difference is presented, many fixers reject it. Based on a quick headcount in the TTA directory, only 90 or so independent fixers throughout the entire UK feel the need to join. Its a chicken and egg situation with some who want guarantees in advance of their committment while many just dismiss the whole idea altogether. Finanaces are key and unless from the outset, your membership fee for fixers is pretty high (I hear a whistleing in my ear!), then you will most likely need the support of those with deeeper pockets - that means the other elements that make up the industry.

That said, NZ on a smaller scale may make the challenge lighter for you Bob. Best of luck with it and stay positive!

10. garythetiler

garythetiler Serious Contributor

It is a difficult one ,I wish there were more fixers in the TTA but something tells me that it will nevr happen

11. AOS Tiling

Which from a lead generating point of view, is certainly positive for me but I'd forsake that for a stronger TTA.

12. Stewart @ SPM Design

Stewart @ SPM Design Serious Contributor

I'd happily join the TTA if it actually vetted it's members on ability upon application and checked on the quality of work supplied thereafter.... Until then it's just a paid badge that tries to demean non members by falsely claiming the guaranteed quality of it's members...!

13. Bob Neary

Why doesn't the TTA check on their members. Surely a prerequisite to join. How hard can it be, after all isn't that one of the prime reasons the TTA was created. It would certainly have to be required here if I was to join. Like you said just a paid badge.

14. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Deja Vu anyone??? :(

15. AOS Tiling

It checked my application and I've explained the process already in another thread so not sure why there is confusion.
    Ongoing checks? No
    Why? My guess is budget.

See above post re 'if the Uk is a benchmark.....'

I should also know in the next week or so if I have won that bath refurb which came direct via the TTA after client got stung by rogues. TTA report helped him win his case with an out of court settlement.

16. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Makes you wonder why

17. Phil Hobson

As Andrew, I was vetted but that was years ago, I'm sure all new applicants are. The funny thing was at the time I applied Bob Howard MBE was the Chairman of TTA as Bob and I go back many years, he told me to just mention he was proposing me. But TTA Admin rang me to say as Bob does not sit on the membership selection committee, I still had to send in some referees. Just goes to show that you can't cut corners with TTA, even when you have friends in high places. I hope the criteria for membership has not changed, they don't need bad tilers.

18. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Phil if you don't mind me asking how do you show them you are a good tiler (i know your a tradesman but how do you show them)

Bob Neary likes this.
  19. Phil Hobson

From memory Jay I think I had to have references from people I had done work for. Not sure if I had architects as well, might be getting mixed up with the CSCS gold supervisors card. All I know is they didn't take just the word of one of the most respected members of our industry.

jay likes this.
  20. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Thanks Phil. anyone else a member can you let us know how you got in (one or two references ) just interested

Bob Neary likes this.