1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Dry Vac System

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Graeme Smith, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith Junior Contributor

Got a flex hand help polisher which accepts a dust shroud - I need a vac to go with it so I can strip some paint off sandstone. I was going to use a 30 grit diamond pad which I tested, worked fine but tons of dust. Flex do various vacs which can be used to extract the dust but some have a filter that is supposed to actively sort of shake the filter to stop it clogging but these vacs cost more. Has anyone used a dry vac in conjunction with a stone polisher (handheld) and shroud. The area is small a couple of m2 thats all but may do some edge work with it. My general wet/dry vac is better used wet, the filter will clog when used dry and I know that it was not really built for dry for a fact work cos it spits fine dust out the back filling the room!!

Any pointers appreciated

2. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Can you not do it wet Graeme?
    It would help the dust .
    I've been looking at hand held polishers this week too and with a shroud they are expensive ! What model of Flex have you and did it come with shroud etc?

3. Graeme Smith

http://www.atsdiamondtools.co.uk/node/81

one of the above with a shroud bought off www.stonetools.co.uk before ATS started selling them. The shroud was around £100.00 so a lot for a bit of plastic with a clip on it. Did not want to do the job wet because of splatter and he chemical stripper route was out because of smell. I have been abusing my wet/dry vac by vacuuming dust and thought I need to get a specific machine for each...... so might as well buy a small decent dry vac to link and use the job value to pay for it.

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling likes this.
  4. pexster

pexster Junior Contributor

I use a bosch gas 35m dust extractor for my hand held tools it is excellent at collecting the dust it cleans it's filter every 30 seconds it can also be used wet, but when the filter cleans itself it is very loud and a replacement filter is quite expensive but then they probably all are.
    They all do them makita, flex,hilti,festool etc they are expensive but if you are using it a lot it is worth while I burnt out a few cheaper ones before i decided it wasn't economical to buy lots of cheap ones often, the stone dust just gets through the seals and eats them.

Graeme Smith and DavidCarr like this.
  5. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

@Graeme Smith the bosch vac Steve has is a good bit of kit. I've just bought a couple of Numatic NDD 570 vac's which are very good for fine dust, they also do a version with a built in power outlet for hand tools. The microflo bags are expensive but they filter out all the harmful dust that tries its best to kill us :)

Graeme Smith likes this.
  6. Graeme Smith

Thanks all the better ones seem to be around 4-500 quid unless its a smaller unit for around 300. The Bosch one has an automatic filter and another cheaper version that is semi automatic. I'll have a look at how many pennies I have.

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling likes this.
  7. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Nothing cheap about tools these days !

8. pexster

The semi auto one has a button you push at the hose end near your tools, I would go with this one if I was to buy again as I often turn mine off and on as required as every 30 seconds you get three loud bangs and it scares the crap out of me :eek:

9. Graeme Smith

Cheers the semi automatic one is £348.00 from a few places, so a bit cheaper then automatic.

10. pexster

I buy the plastic bags that when full you just seal up and put In the skip. Or if your tight like me I empty them in the skip and re use it:roflmao:
    You can also get another type of bag which helps to filter the dust but i have only used the plastic ones

11. pexster

Have you purchased anything yet @Graeme Smith what did you get in the end and are you pleased with it?

12. Graeme Smith

Not yet but for the amount of work needed to be done dry I was looking at a Festool midi or one above around 300 quid - just for removing dust when cutting into old tiles etc. The filter basket that can be dropped into a wet vac is not up to much, thinking that wet vacs are best for wet and a dedicated dry vac for dry - easier to lug off the back of the van :)