1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Epoxy Grouts, Adhesives And Sealers

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Sep 9, 2012.

1. astute 1

astute 1 New Contributor

I use epoxy quite a lot, have had some great success with it, and a number of "heart in my mouth" moments. We use the mapei kerapoxy. After trying a few brands found this suited us the best. We do the " unthinkable" according to the suppliers and cut it down to 1/4 and 1/2 buckets. Buckets are 5 kgs. We are however accurate in the measurement of the hardner. Use gauged measureing jugs.
    We find that unless it a lot of straight meters then we just cant handle 5 kgs .

Anyway the trick is to apply it as quickly as you can, the first 10 min after mixing the epoxy its is at its most malable. ( soft and runny) after that it gets increasingly stiff, and harder to apply.

Rinsing off with reletivley warm water with a cap full of "epex wash" in the bucket.

Epex wash helps heaps with the clean off.

We use the white scoura pads to work up the epoxy, rinsing in the bucket regularly. we the use a quite dense sponge to go over it and remove the excess, and finely a DTA soft sponge to attend to the grout joints and get them smooth.

We then use the Mapei cleaner inside 24 hrs.

This clean is quite crucial as alot of the timesyou will have a resin residue left on the surface of the tile. most often in runs. You will see it in the light. this resin will often take some removing. Its a bit of a pain because you can only see it when the tiles dry out. It takes us a couple of hits sometimes to get it right.

Happens more on Porcelin. Never had an issue with ceramic. would be good to hear if anyone has a solution to this. Have tried doing a preseal of the porcelian prior to grout. didnt seem to help.

Definatly wear gloves.

wash your grout float and mixing paddle in the bucket with with the Epex wash in it .

MosaicGirl likes this.
  2. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Still think the 24 hr window to clean ARDEX EG8 alleviates a lot of the pressure to get right. Just mix the whole tub. Hardens for good after 24 hours. Gives plenty of time to do a second wash the next day when the tiles are dry.
    Although I know progress in terms of cleaning aids have proven to be a real benefit in recent times.

3. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Happens more on Porcelin. Never had an issue with ceramic. would be good to hear if anyone has a solution to this. Have tried doing a preseal of the porcelian prior to grout. didnt seem to help.

Read more: NZ Tilers Forum - Epoxy Grouts, Adhesives And Sealers | Page 2 |
    I haven't used much epoxy but do you think a glazed tile like mosaics are easier to grout with epoxy? If so as mentioned before is a sealer going to assist the cleaning process?

4. Frank

Frank New Contributor