1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Expansion Joints, Control Joints And Anti Fracture Membranes.

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ray

ray Superb Contributor

wall paper springs to mind

jay likes this.
  2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Do believe wallpaper is making a come back and that might just work :)

3. ray

ray Superb Contributor

well we will pull the decoupler a part on tuseday all being well we broke the vices tring to pull the tile off of ply so had to up grade may we can get some answser then my money on bal flex been about four at least 20 years

jay likes this.
  4. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Bout bloody time the tests are a tad drawn out
    i will blame Lee for the delay (he spends to much time driving around trying to find that number plate)

Just replace Lee with Albert:sneaky:

5. ray

ray Superb Contributor

to be fair we all did try but the vices broke so had to come up with a new fomalar and try to fix a date combing our work commitmonts

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

I know just jesting there fella should be interesting

7. ray

ray Superb Contributor

should be and we might just have a guest along to give an unbiast feed back

jay likes this.
  8. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

If I was to follow your methods Ray, purchasing all my product from you, would you guarantee my work?

9. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

:oops: No Just screeds (among other common tiling failures).

10. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I'll guess not as its your work and you should be doing it confidently enough to guarantee it yourself.
    You only get that confidence through experience. If Ray was experienced with you and confident that you would use his methods the same way he does then he'd probably say yes?!

ray and widler like this.
  11. Grace's Dad

Not that I'm questioning your abilities in any way Andrew!!!
    I know you well enough!

12. widler

widler Serious Contributor

What i said before jay, and what ray said ;)

13. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

So bridge the joint with ply

14. Grace's Dad

Attached Files:

jay likes this.
  15. widler

widler Serious Contributor

Jay mate,we are again pissing in the wind.
    Its fair enough, you would not do it, or if you did you would use ditra or whatever its called !
    Me, ive spanned things like ive said, yes, over 2 substrates,no plastic bubble wrap under it, with no problem.
    Ive also tiled showers areas with tubbed over skimmed plasterboard with no tanking and been back 20 years later with same tiles on walls with no problems
    Ive also used PVA outside on rendering, on 100s upon 100s of houses, never a problem.
    If something IMO moves that much no amount of ditra or 2part is going to stop a hard material cracking, nothing, but thats my opinion ;)

16. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

What we got away with years ago and what we do today are miles apart now.
    Back then you could trust your products and your customers
    now days it is a mine field with products and customers with lawyers are becoming just as bad

This thread is asking for a guaranteed way of going over an expansion joint or control joint ,With today's building system and shody builders who have not got a clue .you would be a game person to try and do what we did back then, With all the technology today you would think it would of been easy but in fact it is harder .

For anyone wanting to bridge such joints my advice would be DON'T

just my opinion

Bob Neary and widler like this.
  17. ray

ray Superb Contributor

if i recomend a tiler to one of my clients then i would guarantee there work no problem no mater what products they where using as each will have there own way of doing the job .just because they use a diffrent method to the one i would use does not make them wrong.if i have to tell a tiler what to do and send him off with the best kit does not mean he will get it right only working with him could i truly pass on the skill required so not having seen your work on site or worked with you no way .

Bob Neary and Grace's Dad like this.
  18. AOS Tiling

And neither would I guarantee anyone elses work - even if I had worked with them. Recommend maybe but to be honest, very rarely. Guarantee an other mans hand, never. The reason I ask is to try and guage where we are going with such threads. I don't doubt your sincerity Ray, but I as a fixer am faced with the choice of listening to experience and what has worked for others or to work with the only recognised standards (BS) in order to avoid failures. If I listen to experience and I fail, I'm completely on my own. If I follow BS to the letter and fail, have I got a stronger case if I find myself needing to defend my work in the courts? I suppose if I follow BS to the letter, some would say I will never fail but there are so many paramaters, anything could fail and it's not always easy to prove the cause and who may be right or wrong. I do listen to the more experinced ones on here, but as a rule, feel more comfortable following an industry standard so that in the event, at least I can prove that I showed due care and attention alongside an industry standard and would be viewed on more favourably by the law. Are you with me?

19. ray

ray Superb Contributor

the day i cant stand up in court and rip bs to pieces is the day i give up on tiling . bring there exsperts and we will see how many have ever laid a tile and how many are trade reps. on boards they have no place being have i ever spent a second worrying what i am doing is wrong never on tiling have i ever spent a second worring i would end up in court never .do i know what i can do and cant do you bet.i was trained by the best and not one could quote bs or cared they just tiled and allways new what to do and how to get over any problems thats the bennefit of working with a lot of diffrent tilers .they just had confedece all day long every day in there own ablity and knolege those were the days when people asked tilers how to do the job not reps .no wonder today a tiler only gets 20% out of a job about there confedece level .remeber the rep who telling you what to do and use .has not used it or done it in 90% of caseis.question more and listern hard you may be surprized

Bob Neary, jay, Albert and 1 other person like this.
  20. AOS Tiling

And as far as I am aware it is still a problem in the UK Mark. TTA issued a warning around 18 months back - it looks and feels the same as the good stuff and the poor grade is finding its way across many suppliers. I personally won't tile direct to plywood at all.