1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Grout Sealer?

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Joe @ Hillhead Tiling, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

I'm on a big domestic job with over 700yds going down .
    A lot of it is 900x900 carerra coloured porcelain, grout is a light snowdrop Ardex one.
    What's the best grout sealer out there? I don't do grout sealing as customers like to do it these days lol.
    I'd like to get the best for this job as its a beauty of a house, customers and job.

2. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

Lithofin and Universeal both do one Joe:thumbsup:

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling likes this.
  3. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Is there any difference between grout sealer and stone sealers really?

4. The Anthill Mob

The Anthill Mob Junior Contributor

Don't know,but I used some of Universeal's stone sealer a few weeks ago to seal 30m2 of floor grout.
    Would using an aerosol on 900x900's be easier to use than a liquid?

5. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

An easy to use one and superb quality is what's needed, I need more heads here lol.

6. MosaicGirl

MosaicGirl Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I've got the lithofin spray and the SealGuard one, and it was always my understanding that grout sealer helps against staining and mold, I don't think there is the same degree of mold issue with stones? But all sealers are only any good for 2 years, so I've read anyhow, - in my own bathroom I renew it once a year in the apple tree showerbath, and so far so good. The spray is great, but the fumes, urrghh... the water soluble stuff is less fumey but, again, hearsay only, they are not supposed to be as effective? It's a hard one to test...

7. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

If it was stone on my job it'd be so easier, the fumes are no joke on sealers too as an ex customer of mine ended up in hospital after inhaling too much.

AMA Tiling likes this.
  8. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

Hi all, not sure where you got the lithofin spray as we don't do one!!Intreaged . We do have a grout protector in a bottle for glazed ceramics- water based ( no smell) we won't do a compressed spray - airBourne product- no. If you guys do use them , please use a spayers mask ( double cartridge ). When i do my contract floors and porcelain is to be covered ,i tend to use our porcelain sealer( water based) this can be used over tile and grout after final grout drying . If there is porosity to the tile then the product will take and top up any pre- sealed nano seal, the cementisiouse grout will of course take the product to saturation and then all excesses are then removed and the tile buffed back to its original finish. After curing , this will then ensure water and oil reppelance . For how long?we generally give 2-3 years, ( natural stone impregnators will last 4-5 and longer) if!!!! Correctly maintained, also if your clients need to deep clean with slightly deeper cleaners due to more traffick this will have an effect on repellance and longevity.

Concerning mould, the impregnator will hold the spore on top of the impregnator easing maintenance and removing it. Use a mould spay to remove and this will leave a small amount of inhibitor in the cappillary and then slowing the process down ,although I think most spore is due to ventilation and the steam and heat and will always produce in certain situations.

I think the solvent will outlast the water based in some cases , but again mostly down to the correct maintenance product used and frequency of use. Shower / wet areas I tend to re-seal 1-2 years.

9. MosaicGirl

MosaicGirl Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Ah, must double-check the name on the can then, sorry, haha, it's in the garage...

Lithofin bob likes this.
  10. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

I have loads of grout to seal now on this job, I've sourced nothing yet but hunt is on now, my local stock lithofin plus vulcaseal.
    I can get dry treat too, I need quite a bit too but want the best .

AMA Tiling likes this.
  11. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

I've used both Vulacaseal and Universeal lately. Just re-ordered some more Universeal so that should tell you what my Opinion is lol. I don't doubt that the Vulcaseal does a job but the inverted nozzle on the universeal is a no brainer plus it has 100ml more for slightly less than what i can buy the vulcaseal for. I've used the lithofin one in the past that Bob mentioned. As with any hand applied sealers its tricky but I`ll testify that its still doing a job 5 years later. I've also painted KF/MN stainstop on joints that have hardened. That's probably More practical in new builds as you can go back one or two days later whilst you're waiting on the kettle or a tub of addy to gel and paint some joints in the duration.