1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Have Finally Given In.......or I Have Been Worn Down....

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by Protilers, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Protilers

Protilers Guest

Well,

as you all (may or may not) know I love my Rubi TS-60+........its the best cutter in the world!.......No seriously it is!!!!!!..............best everyday cutter ever, ever ever! hehheheheheeh
    and I have a TX1200......it gets on my nerves......who would make a breaker that big?.......gets in the way of my hands when scribing, obscures my view of my lines......weighs and absolute ton..........
    (and thats why it lives in my warehouse gathering dust!).........arrgghhh......

at the moment I am using a 1200 clinker for long cuts on 1200x600 Porcel-Thins.....and my rubi ts60+ for the short cuts..........all is going well.......but this is about to change!!!!!...........

I have just ordered my first Sigma............I went for the 3EM........on Gary's Reccomendation.........he has one and swears by it!!!!!.........oh well we will see.................

it will be delivered on Friday......I will let you know how I get on!

all the best

Lee (rubi / sigma fanboy! hehehehehhe)

garythetiler and AMA Tiling like this.
  2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

3. mike

mike Serious Contributor

it will take some getting used to after using rubi s for so long but stick at it and you'll soon be wondering how you managed for so long without a sigma. good luck with it mate

jay, AMA Tiling and Protilers like this.
  4. westerhope tiles

westerhope tiles Tiling Product Supplier

i love them so much power

5. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

You would be better of with one of Ray's machines ;)

garythetiler and Protilers like this.
  6. Protilers

Protilers Guest

hhehhehehheheee........with all that power I COULD OVERTAKE THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!......(if my wife will let me.....and I am not alllowed out after 8pm.........its dangerous in London)......

does it come with some form of saftey equipment?........I dont know if I can handle it!!!!!!....hehhheeheeeeeeeeeeeeee

westerhope tiles likes this.
  7. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

3EM was my 1st Sigma Lee. It'll feel odd at first but stick with it and you'll never look back!

Congratulations :D

Protilers likes this.
  8. Protilers

Protilers Guest

I got one of them...........and if Ray dont want it back.....(and he wont!.......something to do with secondhand goods!.......you will have to talk to him!)........I will send it up to you albert.....unless you are down.....still?...
    and then i will drop it off to you!

all the best

Lee

9. westerhope tiles

westerhope tiles Tiling Product Supplier

i was cutting 60x30 porc today and it was like i ruled the world

Protilers likes this.
  10. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

I am back home now Lee.Finished thursday then had to go to Brighton to look at a job:eek:

Protilers likes this.
  11. Protilers

Protilers Guest

thats a good "problem" brighton's" nice this time of year..........but I will talk to Ray tommorrow about the cutter........ I am absoulutly sure he will tell me to send it to you.....and then I will need to arrange carrage.....its a big ol thing..........you will need to PM me your address again.......I dont keep that kinda stuff.......

Lee

12. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Will need pics Lee thanks

13. Protilers

Protilers Guest

Evening all.......

Well I went back to this job where the cutter turned up on friday....and here is is:

[​IMG]

it comes in a "coffin" box.............its huge!!!!!

after a call to Gary the tiler......to get optimal set up......this is what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

although I have four cutters onsite (3 dry and one wet).....I decided to give this one my full attention.....its a sigma 3EM.....i think?

apparently, its the V2 version as Garys is slightly different......and here is a quick review after a days work with the machine..........

as you know my favorite tile cutter is the Rubi TS6o+.....and it still is for tiles that fit on that particular machine!!!!!!!!........

However........for tiles greater than 600mm..... I have a tx700.....and it is crap.......the breaker is too big to be useful....hits your fingers at every opportunity and generally it don't get used that much!
    I have another machine that I got off Ray from feet.......its an inexpensive machine........and it's miles and miles better than the TX.............

so now onto the sigma 3EM..........for a Rubi fanboy......the fact that you scribe away from the square edge is really odd (to me!)......and i pushed the tile out of square a few times at the start of the day......
    TBH only "WE" would notice the difference in the cut.......but it still got on my nerves.......

as I progressed throughout the day.....I started to notice the reason this machine exists and why it surpasses the competition by a country mile....(on large format tiles).....(thick or thin)....

the cutter is sturdy...rock solid in fact, and set up is a little backward if you are used to Rubi machines.....but once you get going you realise that the fact that the "scribe arm" can be adjusted as opposed to adjusting the " scribe wheel"..is a massive benefit....then there is the breaker itself........it clicks off by hitting the guide and "magically" re appears at the point of breaking the tile (still not sure how it does that....but it does!)...

not to mention that the "Breaker" is tiny tiny......so no smashed fingers, good point to point vision (not excellent but really good)......and does the job on large format with ease.......

IMO......its a 9/10......the only thing I was not happy with was the one thing that was an improvement over the previous version (apparently)......the support arms.......
    they dont support that well (i was on an uneven floor, so this may have been my error!)........and I would have expected a metal arm on both sides as well as the "poly" arms..........but that is small bones.......

all in all.........this is the daddy of large format dry cuttters........after a days practice!.....

Lee

14. Protilers

Protilers Guest

Oh and thanks to the lads and ladies at PRO TILER TOOLS......... for doing me a great deal!!!!!!

all the best

Lee

Derek Griffin likes this.
  15. Derek Griffin

Derek Griffin Tiling Products Support

Nice one Lee. Glad you like it. You can add extra legs and even a set of back wheels?. :D

Protilers likes this.
  16. Protilers

Protilers Guest

are you going to send them to me Derek!!!....I cant believe it....wow...thanks......that is a great.....that will make it the perfect machine!!!!!!!.....
    look at that lads not only do Sigma make the best cutter for cutting large format tiles at the mo......the company also appriciates a fair review and are willing to accept the errors in their ways by correcting the minor issues a contract tiler will encounter!..........when that happens you will get a 10/10...........hehehheheheeeeeeeeee......

17. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Now pimp it!
    Good review and very satisfying to hear Lee!

Protilers likes this.
  18. Derek Griffin

:D:D:D

19. Protilers

Protilers Guest

does that mean you are not going to fix the minor issues with the cutter?.....oh well........I can handle it......hold on......

Derek Griffin likes this.
  20. Derek Griffin

I will be up to see Gary soon so we will all meet up if you got time.

Protilers and garythetiler like this.