1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerakoll New Fugalite

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by kerakollJohn, Jun 2, 2012.

1. kerakollJohn

kerakollJohn Tiling Products Support

Certified, eco-friendly, vitrified, flowing, easy-to-clean grout, bacteriostatic
    and fungistatic, water and stain proof for joints of between 0 and 20 mm with
    a high level of chemical and mechanical resistance, guarantees the continuity
    of ceramic surfaces, ideal for use in GreenBuilding. With very low volatile
    organic compound emissions.

Fugalite®
    Eco is a liquid ceramic for the smooth, unbroken grouting of all ceramic and
    glass mosaic coverings. Available in 4 colour collections giving a total of 30 different
    colours and allowing unlimited creative potential and original combinations as well as
    a striking finish.

Merlecollins likes this.
  2. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I'm in Paris at the moment so I'll be brief.
    Again John, how many cement based grouts have high voc emmisions?

3. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

4. kerakollJohn

Paris hey [​IMG] BAL obviously pay more than Kerakoll ha-ha

Yes the criteria for this are huge against Epoxy grouts. This isnt a cement Grout its a new innovation ''LIQUID CERAMIC''. 32 colours It even comes in translucent for glass mosaics [​IMG] 1-20mm joints

Unlike cement grouts this will not discolour, shade, stain, suffer from efflorescences or absorption. It hits EC1+ rating for VOCs and will replace the use of epoxy grouts. Most fixers hate using epoxy. This is a new option that offers better performance than epoxy with the ease of application of a cement based grout. A lot of cement grouts also contain BANNED pesticides to make them anti bacterial. These pesticides are banned by greenpeace and in agriculture yet some manufacturers use them in their grout.

Epoxy grouts give off VERY high VOCs and also contain a lot of harmfull chemicals:

R62 :- Possible risk of impaired fertility!!!
    R63 :- Possible risk of harm to an unborn child!!!
    R48 :- Danger of serious damage to health by prolonged exposure through inhilation!!!

Most fixers arent aware of these issues but part of the ''Eco'' credentials, the above are eliminated from all products. Most people think the Eco side is a bit of nonsence... i see and hear it daily but once explained that the environment is also their working conditions and what they breath in their opinion soon changes.

I dont write the criteria Fella i just promote it and try and educate about our products as best i can. Next year i'll be in Paris ;) lol

But agree on the fact that all products should be promoted on performance as the main criteria . The fixers have to like it and it has to work.... if they dont and it doesnt then doesnt matter what is and isnt in it.

Merlecollins likes this.
  5. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I'll pass on the "eco" label - people here know my gripes with that already! (well explained though John;) )

"liquid ceramic" however....
    Must be pretty dangerous grout to use seeing as ceramics go liquid at high 100's of degrees c.
    A bit like Arm & Hammer toothpaste with "liquid calcium"? Calcium turns liquid at 650c :eek:

AMA Tiling likes this.
  6. kerakollJohn

Ha
    ha yeh that would be a tad dangerous lol

How it works is;

The highest quality Round quartz sand particles are put through a blast furnase at 800 degrees and the colour gets glazed on to every particle of the sand. The process is then repeated with a waterproof layer getting glazed on. This creates thousands of tiny ceramic like particles in each specific colour. The resin then gets mixed in and binds it all together. :)

Don't worry the Eco side isn't for everyone. When explained though it's a lot different than people think. It's obviously a big push with Kerakoll and moving forward all other manufacturers are also taking if on board. It's the future ;) haha

I'm still a firm believer of getting the product on the trowel and proving them that way then the added health/eco benefits just complete the product.

Merlecollins likes this.
  7. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

That looks very interesting gear John
    Any stockists in Ulster?
    Nice tools too

8. MosaicGirl

MosaicGirl Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

9. branty1uk

I like the sound of it too. ;)

kerakollJohn likes this.
  10. kerakollJohn

Hi yeh its a very unique product that will solve a lot of problems. David Scotts supply it. I will be over in Ireland in a few weeks doing some demos of it so will keep you posted :)

11. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Adl could be using a lot of it currently in Chester Andrew, a large BMW garage and I was asked to go over too so maybe in a few weeks I might.
    It would be great for a demo here for sure as john says.

12. branty1uk

I still don't understand why you state a cement based adhesive or grout has low voc emissions!

13. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

can someone explain VOC emissions in plain English thanks what are they

14. MosaicGirl

Volatile organic compounds, Jay, as in harmful fumes, or solvents, which cement based adhesives or grouts clearly don't have, but epoxies and resins can. The stuff that's in many spray cans, too, paints, laquers, etc, the stuff that often smells but in the case of pouring resins not necessarily, and contributes to global warming apparently. But the danger to human or animal or environmental health is a given. It's just to give a cement adhesive the attribute of low voc's is a bit like saying low sugar on butter... Or low fat on water...

jay and branty1uk like this.
  15. branty1uk

Exactamont.

16. Macten

Macten Junior Contributor

Organic not organ :D
    As in contains Carbon

17. kerakollJohn

Yeh i can see where your coming from the VOCs is ‘’mainly’’ aimed at other products with the aim of reducing contaminants inside buildings that are odorous, irritating and/or harmful to health of both the installers and occupants. However some cement based adhesives and grouts still contain harmful chemicals that do give of dangerous VOCs. The main credential to look out for is the GEV rating EC1+ (very low emissions) Again this is not just concerning the ‘’ozone layer’’ like most people think. When you look in to the products your using and the chemicals that are in them you would be amazed at what your breathing in whilst installing.

Some grouts release Acetic Acid when used, reactions to this can be (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue). Also as i mentioned the other day certain grout manufacturers use banned pesticides to make their grout anti-bacterial. They’re banned in agriculture and by Greenpeace yet being used in bathrooms and kitchens and breathed in by Fixers :-s

A lot of cement grouts and adhesives also contain crystalline silica:- The IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) believes that crystalline silica inhaled at the workplace can cause lung cancer in man.

Safety phrase S22 states: Do not breathe dust.... if the product states this DO NOT BREATH DUST that tells you its dangerous. Yet to 80% of fixers still say the ‘’green thing’’ doesn’t affect them.
    On our products we have different ratings to highlight the huge health benefits from using the products. Many fixers using them also comment on their skin being less irritated. All products state that they have very low VOCs emissions on them where applicable as Kerakoll is very much aimed toward the Green/Eco side of things.
    Above in a previous post you will see a few VERY harmful things based in epoxy grouts.... which when breathed in are pretty dangerous....So VOCs are basically what you breath in daily lol bit long winded but i got there =)

Now i know theres a lot of eco none believers out there but in my position and Company i have to promote good practice ha-ha (Just throw that in b4 any banter gets thrown my way ha-ha)

MosaicGirl likes this.
  18. Sussex Tiler

Sussex Tiler Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Talking of ECO, there is a vicar who lives near me who has just bought himself a new electric car, after having solar panels installed on his roof, presumably paid for with a grant (he has also had them installed on the house next door, which he seems to have bought recently for no apparent reason). He told my wife he’s doing his bit for the environment.

He keeps his other car and his Mercedes 4x4 around the back of the garages, which he uses to take to France where he told me he does ’work’

:)

19. MosaicGirl

Hah, yes ipad auto correct, thanks for pointing it out, hadn't noticed, corrected now. :)

20. Mark@CTD

Mark@CTD Tiling Product Supplier

This one word.....I beg to differ on !