1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ltp Stone Oil

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Graeme Smith, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith Junior Contributor

Anyone used it - thinking of trying it to bring out colour in sandstone as an alternative to other intensifiers. Apparently you still need to put a 'standard' impregnator in over the top or through it.

2. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

Sounds a bit odd to impregnate through it or over it. I guess provided both are the same base , there shouldn't be an issue.

3. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

Not sure if you could use an impregnator on top of the oil, a water based will be rejected and an solvent may have issues with congealing or discolouration.

lTP recommend a wax coating on top of this oil product, I would ring the guys on there tech line to confirm which to use and if an impreg is possible if you want a Matt finish .. Or that the oil will be stable and offer reasonable protective reppelance on its own.

Albert likes this.
  4. Graeme Smith

They said it simply enhances hence the reason to put an impregnator on after. Wax on York stone would be a bad idea. Just wondered if anyone had used it most of the enhances do not end up producing the richness in colour I want or can send it too dark. Guess it's why some people turn to topicals like resin.
    Looked a limestone the other day with ronseal varnish on it - surprisingly as it was not a polished tile and a satin water based varnish it looked ok but it would be a pain to strip off 50m2. Customer put it on himself might wish he had not one day

AMA Tiling likes this.
  5. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

What type of impregnator did they suggest? i have used oils and emulsions to give an aged finish to the stone and the ease of topping up and removing . but you do need that coarse finish to ensure key. the resins can be to glossy cant they? and a pig to remove as you say

AMA Tiling likes this.
  6. Graeme Smith

Never asked about the particular impregnator but I would guess Mattstone (not the water based) - I might be chasing around after something that does not exist but when you first put an enhancer on Yorkstone it brings out the colour and all of the enhancers do it - tried lots. When the carrying agent dries out you lose it unless you have put it on Indian sandstone which seems to retain the look.
    Basically the stone looks damp without looking wet but it dries back to dull and matt finish even if the enhancer has worked to some degree. Never tried resin as I have had the joy of removing both glossy varnish and resins, its slow and expensive for the customer so i avoid them. But they can look quite nice if done well but rarely are - varnish seems to discolour and kind of goes black and resin seems to yellow over time.

I thought stone oil may help highlight and retain the rich colour effect - the bummer is that with all these things you have to put it on to try and if the customer don't like it or goes wrong i.e. patchy it would be a job to remove it. spoke to someone in scotland who does lots of sandstone and has said it has been ground flat to remove awful topicals but there have been problems with rotting floor joists due to water from the grinding process. The other point he made which was a good one is Yorkstone round where I am is typically riven, sometimes almost flat but rarely totally. When you grind it flat it now looks like a paving slab -I could see his point as I looked at one and it was awful as a flat slab. Then I saw another which was newly quarried big slabs laid in an old house, it looked ok but you could still see saw marks in it when wet.

7. Mattonella

Mattonella Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Best product I used was Enrich n Seal by aquamix. Used it on slate and it brings out the colours similar to when it is wet, but it stays like that when the sealer is dry. Didn't need any other sealer and I think it had a life of well over 5 years as it wasn't a topical sealer.

8. Graeme Smith

used entrich and seal very good at darkening slate and black limestone does not work as well on sandstone and can send it really dark.