1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Need Work? Tell Someone.

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I had a Tiler come into the store yesterday with some KFC I might add thank you very much.
    Asked him how work was. He showed me how clean his hands were and told me " no work for five weeks" .
    Now I know he has been into the shop a few times over this time and i have got to know him quite well, but he never said a word. I felt stink because I had no idea. I told him he should have said something as we are always being asked about a tiler.
    The thing is, you won't get anywhere if you don't communicate.
    Some of the most successful people are also great communicators.
    So if times are tough, for goodness sakes don't keep it to yourself. Don't let pride be the last thing that beats you.
    Since Ive been on the other side of the counter I've come to realize that if you get to know and frequently visit your local Tile Store we will keep you in mind when asked about local Tilers, especially if we know you are short of work.
    This is another reason why sites like this can be good for the tradesmen.
    If any of you guys need a hand or are looking for a bit of work to tide you over then this is where you can make your request.
    Let's not be strangers, aye guys.

2. T'T

T'T Junior Contributor

Very true bob. I always pop into my local when I'm quiet and tell them and make sure they have enough business cards to give out. Can't just sit back and wait for the phone to ring I found this out quite quickly into being self employed have to get out and try and drum up business!

Bob Neary likes this.
  3. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

I don't keep quiet either.
    Nothing bad about going quiet, it can happen to the best.
    I'm never shy with my tongue :D
    Great words Bob.

Bob Neary likes this.
  4. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

I agree 100%. Got to have that open communication with your tile shop as they can send a tonne of work your way. It goes both ways as they want us to send our clients into then as a well. Money is in selling tiles not adhesive.

jay and Bob Neary like this.
  5. Bill Baldwin

Bill Baldwin New Contributor

At least he could still afford KFC.

Dean Nicholl likes this.
  6. Robert booth

Robert booth Tiling Product Supplier

Where I live ppl aren't shy put it that way...ppl come in and expect me to ditch my regular tilers and give them work without even there name and just the fact they have handed me a "vista print" business card with the title mr joe blogs "professional" tiling services