1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum New Career Path.

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Hi everyone, I thought I might share my experience with you.
    As you might know I had a workplace accident over Eighteen months ago. Because of my injuries I am no longer able to continue working as a self employed Tiler.
    It's been the longest eighteen months I've ever had to experience except for the last few months.
    I say that because a few months ago I started working part time for the TileWarehouse, in Henderson.
    At first it was daunting to say the least as being self employed for most of my life I wasn't sure how I would get on with the team or even be capable of using the computer systems.
    I was worried that I might not even be cut out for the job and all it's duties.
    But the crew at henderson have been marvelous to me. Despite having trouble with the computer system they were so patient with me and were always willing to help me out when things got to much for me. In fact I was on the verge of giving up but the rest of the crew made it easy for me to overcome any mistakes I would make.
    Thanks to them I now enjoy going to work with confidence that I have the tools to deal with almost anything.
    So despite the disaster I experienced from the accident I'm really quite happy to be where I am now. Yes at first learning that my career was over I was gutted but now I'm kind of glad I won't be on my knees for the rest of my life, and let's face it, ay, old tilers don't retire...!
    Being on the other side of the counter now has given me the opportunity to understand the industry from both sides point of view.
    Like for instance, I know that if a tiler needs some assistance with a problem, we will go out of our way to help, in fact that goes with anyone who comes into the store.
    I learned that cooperation with the tradesmen does and will always produce a good result.
    I also came to learn about the Tilewarehouse is that they do look after us. In fact so well no one wants to leave, they have many long termers there. They were even willing to cooperate with and accomodate my limitations during this rehab period.

So to anyone who is considering a career change or forced into one, it doesnt have to be as bad as you might think.
    Sure at first new things can be daunting but don't give up, if it doesn't work first time try again. You will always find some one who is willing to give you a fair go.
    If this old dog can do it then anyone can.

Dean Nicholl, branty1uk, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. Jacqui

Jacqui Auckland Area Manager - Tile Direct

Makes me miss my old Henderson team!!! They are bloody good people

Bob Neary likes this.
  3. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

Nice one Bob.....
    I wish the shops over here had someone in them with some tiling experience