1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member Needs Help.

Discussion in 'New Joiners Introductions' started by Chippy, May 24, 2013.

1. Chippy

Chippy New Contributor

I'm a jobbing builder doing the ccasional basic tiling job , but I could do with some advice on this one.
    While planning to carry out some chimney pointing and flaunching around the pots, it was soon apparent the stack was in a dangerous condition so I dismantled it and plan to rebuild with concrete blockwork instead of the copying the original stone.
    The customer isn't keen on render finish so I've proposed cladding with sandstone tiles, but can only find product which is 22-25mm thick instead of 10-15mm which I hoped to source.
    Can anyone reccommend a suitable adhesive to bond sandstone to concrete?
    Will the surfaces require priming?
    Any suggestions of natural sandstone tiles suppliers?
    Cementitious or Epoxy for failsafe bond?
    I'd be grateful for your comments.

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Welcome to the forum

3. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

Welcome Chippy, someone will be along with the correct advice i'am sure :)

4. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Questions for adhesive manufacturers I would think.
    One certainty though is that mechanical fixings are a definite requirement at height, probably regardless of any bond guarantee!

5. Chippy

Chippy New Contributor

Hi Grace's Dad,
    I was thinking of a mechanical fixing as well but thought if epoxy products were suggested, they might not be needed.

6. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Agree if epoxy adhesive was used well, but BS5385 still states that over 3m height you have to use mechanicals.
    Any failures and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on should the worst happen! :eek:

7. westerhope tiles

westerhope tiles Tiling Product Supplier

chippy did a hotel job with 80x80 porc at 6m heights over 150m2 they did not want to go to the money costs of mechanicals so they used l shape alum trims and fixed with brick epoxy stuck like you know what i wanted nowt to do with it and the brick epoxy pulled the tiles in so its like a climbing wall now but if i was going down the powder rout it would be kerrakol rapid flex p2 that stuff sticks and flexes and if john from kerrakol is on he can put all the tec stuff on aswell