1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'New Joiners Introductions' started by steve jones, Feb 8, 2013.

1. steve jones

steve jones New Contributor

Hi my names steve. I'm 31 and from Swansea. I'm looking to do a two week intensive course with Darren at uk trade training in the near future and start a new career. Until then I'm just going to be lurking on here learning as much as possible. Cheers guys and girls, it seems a really friendly forum.

2. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi and welcome Steve, make yourself at home!

steve jones likes this.
  3. Clive Hill

Clive Hill Serious Contributor

Bore da Steve!

Welcome to the forum. You'll learn loads!

4. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

Welcome Steve :)

steve jones likes this.
  5. steve jones

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was abit worried about saying I was doing a short course. I have been on another tiling forum and the experienced tilers don't seem to take kindly to people entering the trade by a short course. They think everyone should do a apprentership as they did. But being 31 and having a family to support that ain't a option for me.

6. Clive Hill

My advice would be to only do what you feel comfortable with. A 2 week course will not make you a tiler. It will give you the very basics to tile a room. Don't think you will be able to jump in and do wet rooms or any of the big jobs. Experience and learning from the guys on this forum will set you up. You'll notice a few guys have just got back from a manufacturers workshop (These guys must have a hundred years of tiling between them); the training doesn't stop once you're tiling.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll normally get a sensible answer! :laugh:

7. T'T

T'T Junior Contributor

Nowt wrong with doing a short course! Did you ask these other experienced tilers who say you should do an apprenticeship if they would take you on as one?? Bet none would. Also there isnt that many around to do one anyway so the only way to become a tiler is to do these courses. Just make sure its a good one! All the best on it and hang around and ask questions we'll all be fighting over each other to give you the answers!!

Oh and welcome! MG should be along to offer you a tea soon!!

8. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Welcome to the forum

steve jones likes this.
  9. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

Welcome Steve,
    we all started somewhere:)

steve jones and johnny like this.
  10. johnny

johnny Serious Contributor

Too true.
    Tiling is a strange trade in some respects. There are many long time tilers on here who did an apprentiship with a company.
    Others who might have done tile course and block release with a sponsor company.
    Some may have just done a course or as I did I got a book from wh smith called Collins DIY and read the tile section that was probably three pages.
    There is no substitute for good sound professional advice and if a short course gives you an insight and makes you aware of product and execution it cannot be a bad thing.
    I think the problem is that there has been some mis selling a few years back when these courses sprung up by the dozen and the impression given was that after x weeks you are ready and able as a tiler.
    It s an insult to true trades persons to suggest that one can master a trade in a few weeks.
    What I will say though and this is from my experience in this game for more than 25 years is that it is possible to become a very good tiler in about two years.
    I am not talking about myself.i never had the natural ability but I did have some plusses I hope that was good mathematic skills and I think I was good maybe at targeting where I thought I might be most successfull.
    But in the last 15 years I have had many employees and the best of these did not have much experience at all if any in tiling when I started employing them.
    There have been maybe three outstanding tilers and they all had what I did not have and that was natural ability with their hands .plus what I had which was a keenness to learn and graft. Pthe most notable had been an oboe teacher

11. Clive Hill

A real breath of fresh air Johnny!

12. johnny

johnny Serious Contributor

Sorry posted before I had finished .
    In short I think you can be successfull in this trade if you have a willingness and drive to succeed.if you are have naturally gifted with your hands you will become proficient a lot quicker .
    It is all about speed at which you can operate at the level you are required to work at.
    There may be tilers that have to knock out big meters to earn a living on a commercial level where the rates are not so good.
    Others may charge high rates for domestic work but just be too slow to earn a decent wage.
    It's finding which part and level of tiling market that suits your ability best.
    My work plan has always been to aim high and go for the highest end domestic work .this elimates a lot of competition but it is a big slog to get yourself t o be a player in this end of market and the stakes are high. One cock up could sink you.

13. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Welcome aboard Steve, I was 35 when I started :)

steve jones, johnny and Clive Hill like this.
  14. Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll Serious Contributor

Welcome Steve I was 27 wen I started! So don't worry ;)

steve jones likes this.
  15. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Johnny, your post is refresing (just as Clive had posted but I was thinking that before I read his post). You've hit the nail on the head. I started late too 37, but my work experience in other lines gave me the attitude you describe from the outset. Loads more to learn but I am aspiring to hit the levels I have seen in your recent posts. I like your style!

Best of luck Steve!

16. steve jones

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. So glad I found this forum.