1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtaining A Shine On Quarry Tiles

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Twirly23, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Twirly23

Twirly23 New Contributor

I have a Pilkington multiversa-tile red quarry tile floor. The tiles are very matt, with no shine. I tried using HG terra cotta shine seal, which has worked well on other quarry tiles in the house but it had no effect. I then thought that perhaps I needed to seal the tiles, so tried HG impregnating protector, and then the shine seal. Result? No difference. Still very dull. So what should I use, and do I now have to clean off the impregnator first?

2. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

This is one for you Bob

3. pjtiler

pjtiler Serious Contributor

pilks versa tile arnt quarry tiles there adamantine (fired to a much higher temperature )
    hence the mat finish
    you could try a few coats of wax and a load of elbow grease

4. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

HG did a product I used for versatile but although it looked OK, not sure it was the terracotta shine though.

5. TomAstley

Wasn't is wooliscroft who made the versatile, first?

Albert likes this.
  6. pjtiler

aye your quite right tom
    I think woolys went bump and pilks took all the stock

7. TomAstley

There was also another tile, I am sure it was called fire(something) but I can't remember.......... very like the wollis but they had spacer lugs on them.....only came in red IIRC.

8. Albert

Fire-flash red , they were a very nice tile. I think they also did harvest flash.

TomAstley likes this.
  9. Albert

upload_2015-11-26_6-53-32.png upload_2015-11-26_6-53-32.png
    Fire-flash

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    TomAstley likes this.
  10. Albert

upload_2015-11-26_6-56-22.png
    Harvest-flash

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  11. TomAstley

Brill Albert....don't remember the Harvest ones at all.

12. pjtiler

aye h&r Johnson made them buggers

13. GHL Geoff

GHL Geoff Serious Contributor

They also made (and still do) Prg1's (6x6 white) done my head in when young and doing council work, used to get them by the pallet :mad:

14. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

Hi guys , may be to late on this one. These tiles can be problematic with topical sealers on. As they have little surface texture products will bind ,these finishes can scratch easily. Much harder wearing with just an impregnator for water and oil repelance.

We have a product kf tile polish, this can be applied on top of the impregnator kf stain stop . You could test a couple of coats on 2-3 tiles in a discreet area ,on top of what you have first , jumbo car sponge and a light thin even coat leave 1h and repeat .have a look see how it reacts. If you then want to remove all products first, strip tiles with our wax off or other suitable stripper, leave 4-5 days or until fully dry, re impregnate and then 2 coats of the topical finish.

amir patwa likes this.
  15. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

But these tiles are not supposed to shine! Very heavy duty usage area will take any chemical abuse! In its original texture

pjtiler likes this.