1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Quality Or Quantity?

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

All too often we find ourselves needing to reduce our rates to compete for work.
    IMO I don't think that's going to help. Nor is it necessary, why?

The guys you are up against with super low rates will always use inferior products and other cost cutting methods to get the job done. They rely on getting the job done quickly and cheaply so they can get onto the next job ASAP. It's all about quantity with them.
    But will it get them referrals? Or do they risk getting that dreaded call about a failure? do they really care if they do? They will usually just run away, they have been paid so really don't care about the customer.

How do you get work?
    Do you rely on ads or agencies or do you get work from referrals and repeat customers?
    The answer to these questions will tell you how to differentiate your pricing structure from others.

Referrals will get you work based on performance not cost. So you can charge what is fair for the standard of work you produce.

Referrals will also give Joe Bloggs confidence in you and he won't mind paying the price for such confidence and high standard.

Referrals justify the prices you ask for as the precedent is set by the price paid by your previous customer.

If your rates are average you can get above average rates with the passing of time. But you need to put out consistently high standard work.
    Your reputation is everything but it will only take one unhappy customer to bring it crashing down.

So what can you do to maintain a high standard of work and keep that reputation intact?

Procedures...quoting, pricing structure, book keeping,
    Techniques
    Tools...latest cutters and machinery,
    Materials
    Attitude
    Personality
    Anything else?

2. Northern Tiler

Northern Tiler Junior Contributor

In answer to your question Bob, I personally have been in this profession since leaving school , went self employed at 19 and stopped at 40 to persue other careers, (Topps & BAL). Now at 47 this is my 2nd stint at self -employment tile fixing and same as before I always maintain a very high standard in my work and rely solely upon referrals not advertising. I guess that if the heart and passion is in the job this will always work. And regards the fly by nighters who rush in and out of jobs without skill and any care for their customers....great I'm happy to clear up after their destruction is complete & more fool the customers who don't research the job and find the right tradesman.

ps. After going self-employed 2 months ago I am now with 3 weeks of work in front of me.

Dean likes this.
  3. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

100% referral... Communication is a big deal for clients.. So a quality job along with a quality experience is a very happy camper that is more than happy to recommend you

Northern Tiler and Bob Neary like this.
  4. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Gary, Im glad to hear you have work ahead of you, and of course your rep. will stay intact as long as the passion is there.
    But in the meantime it's the low cost cowboys that are driving our rates down while our expenses are rising. We may be getting work but at what cost. The trade has fast become a very technical industry that demands the use of the best products available. And some of them ain't cheap!
    If we can reduce the opportunities these cowboys get to create havoc with people's lives and at the same time keep our rates at a fair and reasonable level, then it has to be a good thing for everyone, right?
    The other thing too is and I ask this of everyone...where can Joe and Flo Bloggs go to complain and get assistance to put right a bad tiling job?
    In the UK, Aust and NZ what steps can they take to put right a nightmare installation? What organisation or authority do we have available locally?
    And how efficient is it getting satisfaction for the complainants?
    Would like to hear of any experiences from both sides on this.

Northern Tiler likes this.