1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re Sealing On Shower Cubicle

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Jingle, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Jingle

Jingle New Contributor

Hi all

Wonder if you've got a bit of advice for me please. When having to replace the silicone sealant along the shower tray do you have to also remove the sealant going up the corner tiles. I was thinking yes as I d0 not think the silicone would adhere to the upright sealant if not replaced. Hope this makes sense, thanks :)

2. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

If you're doing it you may as well replace all the silicone. You'd hope the silicones would adhere but from personal experience I wouldn't be 100% sure. Best to do it all.

3. Jingle

Jingle New Contributor

Many thanks Aidy, does seem a shame when the uprights are in such good condition but hey ho. How long does it take you to remove 2 x silicone on uprights and around shower tray? Would welcome others adding there times?

4. The Anthill Mob

The Anthill Mob Junior Contributor

Carefully cut out the thick of the silicone with a craft knife,apply silicone eater(from an DIY shed or builders merchant) Wait for the silicone to dissolve. Clean and dry the joints ,a hairdryer is handy. Reapply silicone......2-3hrs tops.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    AMA Tiling likes this.
  5. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

There you have it jingle. I'd possibly like it done under two hours but depends how quick the silicone remover/eater works. I guess with three hours you can't go wrong. ;)

6. Jingle

Jingle New Contributor

Thanks guys much appreciated.