1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Restoration Of Carrara Tiles On Walls

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by pauloms, Dec 11, 2014.

1. pauloms

pauloms New Contributor

Hi guys,

I bought a full set of 4" diamond pads, from 50 to 8000 grit, to use with my Silverstorm polisher and repair, at my home, some walls with Carrara tiles, i.e., some little scratches on them.

So, I first made a test with a single tile. I started with the 200 grit pad to eliminated a small scratch, which was OK. Then, I passed to the 400 pad and so on until the 8000 grit using almost no water.

The thing is, the final result was a nice shiny surface but not a mirror look surface, like the applied Carrara tiles on the walls. I believe that usually, the professionals use a final grit of 800 or 1500 and then a polisher powder to vitrify the surface. However, I thought that with a 3000 grit plus a 8000 grit the final result would be very similar. Is this normal or did I make some mistakes during the polish process?

Thanks!

2. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

With a hand held machine and 4" pads you simply won't be able to replicate the polish provided by a full stone polishing line using large polishing heads and a great deal of water and pressure.

If you'd got the surface back to nice and shiny, to be honest you've done better than most.

If this was a floor you could use a 17" rotary machine or similar, but on a wall your options are quite limited.

3. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

Some times it is better to use carbide paper to polish wall tiles!

4. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Anybody tried cif cream? With the slight cut in the liquid I've got a really nice polish back. I know it's probably crazy but there you go...!

5. ATS Diamond Tools

I have a couple of customers that use Farecla car bodywork products for re finishing Man Made Quartz. It's quite effective apparently.

That's not dissimillar to Cif in theory.

6. amir patwa

We have always promoted "off the shelf" products like crystal soda as an intensive cleaner!
    Polishing and restoring stone is not rocket science technology! Before " clean it up forum" guru and Nulife stone has been in USE FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS! Has been cleaned, polished etc!

7. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

I recall you saying that in a thread related to man made & agglomerate tiles. I've been meaning to try it but not quite got around to it.

8. ATS Diamond Tools

I'm talking marks and scratches in worktops rather than entire floor polishing. It's got be worth a look though.

9. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

@pauloms what speed was machine running at? Did you apply much pressure to polisher whilst working the stone? Did you keep the water as clear as possible to prevent cross contamination with debris/discarded diamonds?

10. amir patwa

The problem with Carrara marble 10mm tile they tend to shatter during scratching so very difficult to repolish!