1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by amir patwa, Aug 26, 2015.

1. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

Dear Forum members who carry out restoration work ! We might as well skip all our tools!
    A customer would like to remove lippage from a floor but some in the trade is convinced that by grinding and repolishing the tile would buckle! Am I in the wrong trade?

2. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Tiles are buckled enough these days , lol.
    Name and shame Amir, we don't need numties stirring crap.

amir patwa likes this.
  3. amir patwa

He reckons his flex and Makita are the best for grinding 60m2 floor. Keeps calling my neighbour that I am ruining their floors

4. magyar vizsla

magyar vizsla Superb Contributor

I guess it all depends on how much of the original surface you're grinding down? 1-2mm over a natural stone floor wouldn't be excessive, but anything after that (depending of course on the stone thickness) should surely be up to the initial fixers?

5. amir patwa

If the tiles are anything from 6 mm to 10mm you can remove up to 1/2 of the thickness to rove lippage if you know what you are doing!

6. amir patwa

Looks like Dave Carr is having a ball! Join to wish him luck in his inventions!

AMA Tiling, Albert and DavidCarr like this.
  7. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Thanks Amir, things are going very well, simply can't keep up with demand, all sorted soon though.

We hear similar things about lippage, usually from those who've never done the job. The best way to remove lippage is with a floor machine not a handheld.

AMA Tiling likes this.
  8. amir patwa

David I really appreciate your efforts in UPGRADING the quality of the consumable tooling and the quality of concrete floor polishing!
    For your information I have a customer who claims that he can purchase diamond polishing pads for £2. A pad!
    If the come from overseas than duty,freight & packaging probably cost&1.! What about production cost, sources and profit? Mind boggling!

9. DavidCarr

£2 is way too cheap, there'll be no diamond in there, I'm sure they will appeal to bottom of the market though.

I think the key is best quality at a fair and realistic price, nothing comes cheap.

10. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Chinese companies make so much these days that's the problem, they do make for the big name companies too for sure.
    They can sell cheap and expensive gear.
    The problem is you can buy diamonds for £200 a set up to £1000+, the expensive ones could be just a step up from the cheaper too who knows apart from unbiased guys.
    What price is a full set of good ones Dave and Amir? It's a minefield plus they all can get easily damaged.
    How'd the floors in Royal Wharf come up Amir? Plenty of lips I hear from horses mouth too.

amir patwa likes this.
  11. DavidCarr

Depends on what size machine Joe, I've got a 24 head 650kg beast on the way, that'll take some shoeing lol, my diamonds are positioned about midway costwise but are £ for £ the best you can get, I don't rest on my laurels so everything is constantly being improved and reinvested in. Always happy to do a head to head.

I'll never be the cheapest that's for sure, as everything is made and sourced here, the majority of customers are repeat orders. I'm not really into hand machine pads or stone, just tools for floor machines for concrete; that's my niche.

12. amir patwa

Get cracking!

AMA Tiling likes this.
  13. DavidCarr

Lol working hard to get everything to my satisfaction Amir :)

AMA Tiling and amir patwa like this.
  14. andy allen

andy allen New Contributor

Can you remove lippage from a man made quartz tile? :)

15. amir patwa

Allen at a price you can do practically anything with man made tile! No Having appropriate tooling and consumable will fail you! I came across a diamond pad and Flex agent who wanted to sell his wares at the London Stone show who was convinced that HIS DIAMOND PADS AT £12 a set of 7 would do the job!!
    On the serious side of your questions answer is YES!
    Quartz is one of the hardest man made tile and to remove any form of lippage you will need a machine with enough torque and weight to handle a planetary head. You will need metal bond diamond to remove the lippage ( designed to remove granite stone lippage) and for repolishing you will have to start with stones called pavelux and finishing off with SOFT DIAMOND PADS!
    To achieve the clarity of the finish you will use powder designed for granite stone.
    If we have to do this kind of work we would start using a traditional stone grinding machine and mix with the modern planetary equipment.
    I hope this of help and wish you luck. You can call me on 07711383101 if you like and acceptable to forum rules

AMA Tiling likes this.
  16. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

Lets straighten this out shall we Amir before you stick your foot any further in your mouth.

The job in question is 600mm x 600mm x 10mm white quartz man made tile fitted over under floor heating.

The tiles have not been particularly fitted that well from the images that have been posted. 1-2mm lippage from what can be seen, 60 sq/m so far fitted (of over 200 sq/m)

The supplier will NOT confirm this tile can be fitted over UFH.

My advice:-

Find out if the product is suitable for fitting over UFH. If it is, pull it up and re fit it correctly.

If it's not, replace it with something that is. We have no products that I would suggest would correct this problem via polishing or grinding.

Amir's advice:-

Grind it and refinish it.

I don't think it should or even can be ground and once the UFH is switched on these tiles will be curling up all over the place.

Amir suggested his neighbour, New Image would be able to grind and refinish the job. So I phoned them out of curiosity as most people I know in this industry tend to shy away from repolishing man made quartz tiles.

New Image suggested pulling the floor up and re fitting it correctly.

After I posted this information on line Amir then phoned me and pretended to be a customer looking to buy Klindex polishing pads for quartz flooring.

Amir, you're a fruitcake. It would be in your interest to stop posting on line, you continually make yourself look like a fruitcake.

17. ATS Diamond Tools

This is simply wrong.

Many porcelain tiles and (dark) granite are both more dense than Man made quartz. This is represented by the quartz slab and tile rating on the Mohs scale of somewhere around 5-6 depending on colour and resin content. Black granite it around a 7 on the mohs scale.

This information is freely available and published by the quartz manufacturers.

AMA Tiling likes this.
  18. amir patwa

You are more interested is selling your cheap 3mm diamonds and flex polishers!
    While people like dave Carr and similar are professionals who carry out restoration work day in and day out! They
    Know their tooling and have DO NOT RELY ON WEBSITES TO QUOTES,! Internet do lie, salesmen are famous for distorting facts just to sell!
    You told New Image that YOU wanted a 300m2 quartz floor polished and THEY TOLD YOU THAT they do not do third
    Party work!
    You are trying to promote your ATS brand in the forum by being a big shot!
    I rest my case! Wish you a profitable marketing journey.
    Please do not quote me or reply to my post! Next time make some donations when we try to raise money for a good cause!

19. ATS Diamond Tools

See, absolute fruitcake.

The reason I don't bother to post much on forums any longer is the above. Between all the fruitcakes and Walter Mitty's that post it's just an absolute waste of time.

I won't tolerate bullshit though Amir - you can cut that crap out now.

20. amir patwa

Joe people like you get up early morning to rectify doggy tiling BUT THERE ARE THOSE WHO PEDDLE DIAMOND 3mm as professional tools!
    Must make Dave Carr's job difficult!