1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Sigma Or Rubi? Is There Anything Else?

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys, the debate about which is the best has gone on for ages regarding Rubi and Sigma.
    But is there anything else out there that can perform like the big boys?
    I guess it really comes down to performance and personal preference.
    If you have a cutter other than Rubi or Sigma lets hear about it right here on the forum.
    Oh, and if any of you are in the market for new equipment then you might be interested to know the Tile Warehouse have a Rubi Promo on with everything at 40% off retail prices.

2. Derek Griffin

Derek Griffin Tiling Products Support

Not really Bob. just Sigma.:D:eek: Who are the tile warehouse? and 40% off sounds good. That will bring them down close to our normal price. :D

Dave, Clive Hill and jay like this.
  3. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

What is a Rubi

Bob Neary, Grace's Dad and DavidCarr like this.
  4. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I've a couple of montolit cutters but they are rubbish compared to my sigmas. Still better than rubi though.

5. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Snap!

6. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

My 73P is going on eBay this weekend. Needs upgrading to a 3cm asap.

7. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Us tilers could design a cracking cutter IMO.
    Obviously Sigma would influence my design but i'm sure we all have ideas :)

Bob Neary likes this.
  8. Bob Neary

Sorry mate that's in NZD you're in the NZ forum. Tile Warehouse is nz's largest Tile store.
    Just in interest, what would one pay for a TXN 700 rubi and for the equivalent of Sigma?

9. Bob Neary

I like that idea using the best features possible to design the ultimate cutter.
    What features would you like to see in a cutter guys?

10. Bob Neary

Don't start Jay.

jay likes this.
  11. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Haven't had a good banter on this subject for a while :) (makes you wonder)

12. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

Rubi might steal our ideas if we declare them !!!
    Lol.
    Only joking, Rubi is a company like any other and I'm sure new designed cutters is possibly in line too !
    Sigma have pretty much designed the best but improvements and tweaks would be interesting !! Time to dream I think..

13. Derek Griffin

They already do something with a simialr design to Sigma,Siri,Monty called a TI-TIT etc... It's not the same as ours but they had a good go anyway. Our designs have not changed for many years due to how well they perform and as Sigma tells me unless you have something really useful to offer the user leave it alone. We would never dream of producing anything aimed at the DIY market as we think it's you who should complete the projects as it's your trade and business.

14. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Says it all

Derek Griffin likes this.
  15. T'T

T'T Junior Contributor

I was singing sigmas praises in the local tile shop last week,they were showing me some tiles which you couldn't cut with a dry rail and need to wet cut told them the sigma would easily do it. Taking mine in next week to show them. Will try and give them your number Derek!

DavidCarr and Derek Griffin like this.
  16. Derek Griffin

Nice one. Hope it's not the tile i had the other day or they won't be calling:rolleyes: Never seen anything like it before. Apart from years ago when CTD had a tile "real stone Strauss from Alaplana" nightmare tile with thick glass on top. Had a marble look about it. If they call I will owe you a few beers!.

17. T'T

T'T Junior Contributor

The tile didn't look that tough to be fair! think they were using rubi's to do the cuts!

18. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

The tiles you mention Derek with the thin layer of glass on top think i had one similar a while back.
    Found if you back off the pressure of the breaker so it just breaks and score very lightly (bit like scoring mirror tiles) they will cut. But agree they are nasty

Derek Griffin likes this.