1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Slate Tiles Maintenance

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by IED00, Mar 8, 2015.

1. IED00

IED00 New Contributor

Hello,

We recently had charcoal riven slate tiles fitted in our bathroom with charcoal grouting. After a few days the grey grouting has turned white and the tiles have a white residue on them.

I think this is either efflorescence or latex leaching, I've tried a mild vinegar solution and the grouting did not go back to charcoal.

We have not sealed the tiles yet, because we wanted to fix the colour of the grouting and floor before it's all sealed.

Any ideas how I can:

1. restore the tiles back to their original charcoal colour
    2. restore the grouting back to its original charcoal colour
    I have ordered Universeal ultimate stone sealant and Lithofin Cement Residue Remover Will these products fix 1 and 2 respectively?

Photo attached.

Kind Regards,
    IED00

Attached Files:

2. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

That grout is not white and yes, most grouts do dry lighter but this doesn't look like a Charcoal should look.

As for the slates, they look like they just need a good clean - no need for vinegar - just use hot water and a nylon scourer (pref a dark coloured one). Make sure you rinse the residue off with plenty of clean water with a sponge.

This should solve the dirty look of the slates and then you could use the sealer. The grout however, will probably be unaffected.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    amir patwa likes this.
  3. Jason - Universeal Sealants

Jason - Universeal Sealants Tiling Products Support

Ultimate Stone Sealer is a penetrating sealer that doesn't change the surface appearance or colour of the tile. If you wanted to heighten the colour then either Ultimate Stone Enhancer or Slate Seal would do this. That said Slate Seal is a top coat sealer offering a satin finish.

amir patwa and DavidCarr like this.
  4. IED00

IED00 New Contributor

Thanks for all your replies. I think I need an immediate solution for the grouting. It originally dyed dark. Any ideas on how to get it back to that colour?

5. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

Do you mean it originally dried dark?

6. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

Universeal do a product that you can apply to darken the grout speak them.

7. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

you state you have the cement residue remover, have you tested this? test one tile preferably un laid or an of cut, dilute 1-5, test the product with a stiff brush or a white pad, leave on for 2-5 min, rinse and remove and then towel dry stone - look for damage or lightening- if test ok- pre wet tile and grout joint- test one stone on the floor and repeat the process, scrub with brush and pad every min- rinse again.if cleans the tile -work through in small controlled sections 1-2 sqm - i personally will leave this then 4-5 days to dry - then you can seal with above