1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staining Marble To Make It Look Old

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by johnny, Jul 13, 2013.

1. johnny

johnny Serious Contributor

I am quoting to lay diamond shape Carrara marble tiles in an orangery.
    No problem with fixing but have also been asked if I can age the marble to make it look as if it has been down for hundreds of years.
    I have heard of Marble being stained with tea before but never seen it done.
    Anyone know how to do this or someone who could do this process.
    I would rather just fix. The marble and not get involved with the staining.
    Job is in London . I already have antique French octagon and cabachons with borders to install in other areas.
    Good job to get in on.

2. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

I've been thinking about this problem.

You'd be better off starting with an "antiqued" finished product to start with, this will have gone through a few processes depending on the manufacturer, usually being bush hammered, sandblasted, then brushed.

With that finish you're already 90% there - the rest is then a case of dropping so red wine, beetroot, teabags and anything else you fancy onto the floor in various places.

Don't consider trying to do this with a polished Carrara product, it will be a tall order.

Have they already bought the marble?

3. johnny

4. ATS Diamond Tools

Ahh right, that changes things considerably. What they actually want then is a low grade Carrara rather than AA or AAA grade product.

Carrara is graded according to background and colour purity. Think of it like diamonds, the purer the colour and less inclusions and imperfections the more expensive and "better" the grade.

The Victorians (and Italians) weren't caught up in this purity thing, they liked the colour variations caused by other natural mineral inclusions, particularly ferrous oxide (rust) which adds a brown/beige hue to certain areas of a rock.

The lower the grade, the more colour variation you get. Sounds to me that's what they want - still polished, still perfectly fitted.

Try Cullifords in Surbiton or Pisani in Feltham and see if they have an "commercial" grade Carrara - I have a feeling that might fit the bill.

5. ATS Diamond Tools

Just had another thought - Whilst Carrara was one of the more popular products fitted in Victorian England - a lot of other marbles are misnamed Carrara.

Show them some images of Statuary & Calacatta (both Italian) or Rosa Aurora light/white (Portuguese). These were also very common Victorian products and might fit the look they are after.

AOS Tiling likes this.
  6. johnny

7. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

Johnny are you in a hurry to get this projects completed soon? If you can bring few tiles to our next training on 27th July we will show you how you can accomplish what your customer's wants. You can call me on 07711383101 and I can explain to you how to accomplished the required staining

musivarius likes this.
  8. johnny

I am starting the genuine antique octagon floor on Monday. The marble won't be for at least two to three weeks.will call you tomorrow. Thanks