1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Back Butter Buddy Review

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by jay, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Need to get the reviews together post them in here please .There are 12 out there so need 12 reviews with pics

RAY - 1 ( Garth – 1 )
    Andy Carroll - 1
    Andrew O'Sullivan -1
    Neale Pitts - 1
    Amir Patwa - 1
    Andrew McKnight - 1
    Craig Powell - 1
    John Simons - 1
    Albert Donnelly - 1
    Mark Ellam - 1
    “LEE” @ Protilers - 1

Just in case you have not seen the list

no pressure :)

2. Protilers

Protilers Guest

how did you get hold of that list?...........do you work for MI5?.......

its late in the UK...but I think I have given an honest review already.......

what do you want a bit of a vid?............I will go to Ray's place and will will bash something together............ if he is up for it?

all the best

Lee

3. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Post your review in here fella don't care if you copy and paste want to get them all together if possible,
    vid would be nice can you show top and bottom of the product for me please

4. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Problem with the bucket size I'm afraid. I have tried:
    Bal Mixing Bucket
    Schluter Bucket
    Fired Earth Grout Bucket
    McPherson Paint Bucket
    Dunlop Paint Bucket
    Ultra Tubbed Adhesive bucket.

For me, it has to sit on a bucket or at least a portable and stable object for it to be of any benefit.

Secondly, my initial thoughts are that the build quality is quite lightweight and while I don't doubt Phils claim that it will take up to 200lbs in weight, I'd wonder about the durability of the product and how long it might last. Not just the wear and tear of daily use but also the rough handling it will need to endure in the back of a van. I think Phil said it retailed for $30 (?), I'd prefer to pay twice that or more for a more robust tool that would take the hammering I would expect it to receive. Ok, I haven't tested the durability theory so maybe my review is a little harsh, but having handled the tool, that's my initial instinct. If we can find a suitable bucket,then my durability theory can be tested.

Andrew

5. Tommyzooom

Tommyzooom Top Notch Contributor

Initial thoughts on it are it does seem a bit flimsy, but I haven't site-tested it yet, as it won't fit on any of my buckets either, I put some pictures on another thread, and I'll copy them here

Many thanks to Phil for sending this out, and kudos to Ray for forwarding this to me in sparkling Christmas paper:thumbsup:
    Well I went out to take a few pics of the buckets in the garage. I have to agree that it would be much better if it would sit on a bucket for the reasons stated above.
    The buckets in question
    DSC_0203.jpg

Three of the ready mixed buckets, though from three different manufacturers, were identical, and seemed to be a generic bucket most tilers would have about them, As you'll see they are slightly too small for the BBB, at 280mm (275 internal)
    DSC_0205.jpg DSC_0206.jpg I also had an empty emulsion paint bucket, again fairly standard and easily available to most tilers, this was larger,at 295mm, but again was too small for the BBB
    DSC_0207.jpg DSC_0208.jpg
    The larger Larsen bucket was too big for the BBB, but as I was given these for mixing in, and I have never seen them before, they may be an odd size

Phil, if future models could have the recess on the underside widened slightly, so that it was able to accomodate both these buckets, It would fit a greater range of buckets available to tilers, yes it won't be a tight fit on some, but does it need to be?
    Or a few of the non-slip "dots" on the underside also, and do this??.....
    DSC_0202.jpg
    I'll try it on site next week and see how we get on
    Andrew

6. Phil

Phil Junior Contributor

7. Protilers

Protilers Guest

was not just from me.....it was from Ray, Gary and myself!..........all the best

jay and Albert like this.
  8. Mattonella

Mattonella Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Nice video. It's a good job that bucket didn't collapse when you were holding your brew.

9. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Nice work there Lee Ray and gary
    just thought of another one for you boys what is whiter Lees shorts or his legs (get some sun there Lee )

10. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Seem to be waiting on a few more reviews

11. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

It looks like a useful product for larger areas. Say you're doing a big floor, have one fitter back buttering and passing the tiles to a second fitter to set. I can see that speeding up fitting quite considerably.

In a small room it's just going to be a bit more clutter to trip over.

jay likes this.
  12. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Yeah have to agree mind you the DIYer or newbie who has not mastered the the skill to turn the trowel around (one handed) might find it useful too

13. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

Why can't the tile/adhesive manufacturers just produce something where back buttering is not necessary?

14. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

perfectly flat tile and a perfectly flat substrate ???? nah your dreaming fella :)

15. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Move back to sensible sized tiles, anything more than 6" square is a waste :D

Bring back geometrics!

jay likes this.
  16. TomAstley

What has back buttering got to do with a flat tile?

17. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Why do we only have to back butter tiles over 300mmx300mm

18. TomAstley

Is that the law?

19. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

oops sorry standards in Aus might not be the same over there

mind you would you back butter a 200 x 200

20. TomAstley

My point is Jay - what is the purpose of back buttering? It has nothing to do with size.