1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Thin Screed Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by peter pan, Jul 25, 2013.

1. peter pan

peter pan New Contributor

I am going to tile an outside (covered) porch with quarry tiles. The porch is about 800mm wide. Before I start I need to raise the surface at the exterior edge by 25mm, reducing to nothing over a distance of about half a metre. Does anyone know a suitable flooring product I could use for this? Many thanks.

2. garythetiler

garythetiler Serious Contributor

tile master level flex

Lee@TileTown likes this.
  3. Lee@TileTown

Lee@TileTown Tiling Product Supplier

As above or use a 20mm tile backer board?

4. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

Back in the day I used to deal with this sort of thing using Ardex S21. Pouring it to level first then fixing as normal (with the same product) once the leveling bit had gone off.

Fix a batten to the front edge and set the required height, then pour and smooth with a straight edge.

It was very good gear, extremely hard wearing. Is it still available?

branty1uk and Albert like this.
  5. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

What is the substrate

6. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I think so. You can do something similar with BAL PTB.

Albert likes this.
  7. branty1uk

Peter, is it a fall you're trying to make or level a surface?

8. peter pan

Thanks very much to everyone for their help. The recommended products look strong possibilities. To answer the questions posed, the substrate is concrete, and the surface slopes away from the door for about half a metre, at which point the slope dives down a bit, i.e. it becomes steeper. What I want to do is to make the gradient of the slope continuous therefore I only need to raise the steeper section. Hope this is clear!
    Lee, I don't know what a tile backer board is I'm afraid, but I need something that reduces to nothing over half a metre.

9. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

I take it this porch is still open to the weather (no walls) open. Are the tiles to continue around the vertical edge of the porch
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to picture it

10. peter pan

That's fine Jay, ask away. Actually, the porch is enclosed by walls on both sides (it's a terraced house), so it's only open at the front.
    I'm only going to tile the base, finishing with bull nose tiles at the front edge, overhanging by the thickness of a tile, then below this will be a row of vertical tiles - an up-stand going down to meet the pavement.

11. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Thanks for that think i have it now .you need to have some fall just in case some rain is driven into the area the fall will drain water away from the door. You may struggle with a self leveling compound in this situation and is not what you want (it being level) 25mm over 800 is a bit to much fall think you need to reduce it to about 12mm or 15 to drain the area

12. branty1uk

A picture would be good Peter.

13. Protilers

Protilers Guest

You can get backer board that is tapered from 20mm to 10mm
    Maybe that is an option?

Albert likes this.
  14. peter pan

Sorry if this is a frequent question, but I'm not sure how to upload a picture. When I click on 'insert image' I am asked for the URL. I guess I need to upload my image to an image hosting website? Some help with his would be appreciated.
    In the meantime I've had a look at Ardex 21 on their website and they suggest adding fine sharp sand to the mix for thicker applications, so maybe I could do this at the thicker end where I need a thickness of 25mm, and change to a neat mix as my screed reduces to nothing at the top end of the door-step.
    The thing is, I've only previously used self-levelling compound to obtain a level finish. In this instance I would need to be able to trowel it off to a fall, presumably as it dries, and I don't know if this would be possible. Does anyone know if this can be done?
    Thanks for the suggestion re. backer board but I doubt whether it will help in this situation.

15. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

When you add sand to the mix it bulks up and behaves more like a sand/cement screed. Real world this means you can trowel it like sand/cement. Just remember it's rapid, particularly if the weather is warm - very rapid.

Give yourself a batten back and front to set the level for the "fall" - pour your mix in and "level it" with a straight edge using the battens as guides.

Pjc likes this.
  16. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

To upload a pic click upload a file at the bottom of the page just make sure it is not to big

17. peter pan

I've tried to re-size my picture as it was originally too big. Hope it works!

Attached Files:

18. peter pan

Well maybe my picture is a bit small!
    However, the line across the middle of the doorstep is the where the gradient changes. From the door to that line the fall is about 8mm which I think is fine. From that line forwards to the edge of the step there is a fall of 25mm. This is the section I want to screed so that the fall becomes continuous from the door to the front edge.

19. peter pan

I've also now had a look at tile master level flex that garythetiler suggested - sorry gary I'd overlooked this - and it says it is fibre reinforced and usable from feather-edge to 50mm, so this also sounds a good option, provided it can be screeded to a fall in the same way that ATS referred to earlier today, which is my main requirement really.

20. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Might be the way to go