1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tilemaster Prime Plus

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by Andy Carroll, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll Serious Contributor

Anybody else having any problems with it at the moment?or have I got a bad batch! I'm having problems with it once its dry its washing back off the wall!!

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

What is the substrate Andy
    take it is not sealed already

3. Andy Carroll

A painted surface scratched up jay!
    It was dry but just wiped off when wet!

4. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Try the primer on some concrete or cement sheet and see if it does the same//

sounds like the substrate you are trying to prime is not suitable and needs stripping (if the primer wont grab the adh will do the same)

5. Andy Carroll

Yes jay, I ended up scraping all the paint off back to the gypsum finish and primed it again.hopefully on Monday it will be dry!!!!

6. Andy Carroll

It was strange though jay.it was clean
    Dry I did the tape test.. Scratched the walls to death!first coat 3-1 2nd coat neat left to dry between coats,it was dry to the touch started spreading the adhesive and it just started wetting back up clean back to the paint? Evan on the skimming where i scored it,the primer was wetting up aswell roll on Monday....

7. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

There may be a problem with the primer .Just try the two substrates i mentioned even plasterboard and see if it wets back up if so don't use it

8. Andy Carroll

That's what I was thinking! I phoned Tilemaster they just said they can't help me!!? Was a bit miffed with them today!
    Wasted a bag of adhesive aswell.!

9. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

With help like that might be time to find a new adh

you might get the same answer if you have a failure

Andy Carroll likes this.
  10. Andy Carroll

Don't worry everyone will know!! Hopefully it will be ok though..
    What adhesive do you use jay?

11. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Was Laticrete
    now use Australasian tiling adhesives

new company the owner is an ex tiler and knows his stuff sh*t hot adhesives too

Andy Carroll likes this.
  12. Andy Carroll

http://www.ata.com.au/
    These jay?

jay likes this.
  13. ray

ray Superb Contributor

did you sugar soap the paint work first. paint work can build up layers of grime on the surface that you dont always see with the eyes and when you scape key marks the grime on the surface of the paint is atrackted to the scape marks when wet and fills them first as they have the most draw .ps when we ring a surplier up you dont always get to talk to the right person .so give mark a ring hes not one to run away from a problem

14. Andy Carroll

I spoke to mark aswell Ray! There wasn't much paint left ray when I'd finished scoring it? :) lol

15. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Yep that is the one the web page is still under construction and not all adh and products are on it yet

16. ray

ray Superb Contributor

ok a few years a go there was a fad for polished plaster you did this buy going over the plaster again and again with water when drying leaving a mirror like finnish now you would have problems painting this as no key left on surface so you would use size to give a key now if paint come off leaving a smooth surface then when you primed this may have become live and sealed out the primer .to test get some sand paper and sand a small area then prime then prime unsanded area .to test seal

17. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Shoulder aches just thinking about polished plaster
    did you do any of it Ray

18. Andy Carroll

I understand what your saying ray!
    But there was a few small areas where I primed the plaster (it wasnt polished)and that also washed off? Took a bit more but it was washing off! Now I've used this primer for a while now without any problems!and marks advice is second to none.he knows his products inside out..
    Anyways we'll see how it goes Monday when I try washing it again :)

ray likes this.
  19. ray

ray Superb Contributor

only buy accedent when i was trying to hard to get a perfect flat surface at home to inpress the misses ;)

AMA Tiling, Andy Carroll and jay like this.
  20. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

it does polish up nice