1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tilemaster Prime Plus

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by Andy Carroll, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ray

ray Superb Contributor

of course your wright but this was the ceiling my neck and arms completely gone and my hair a strange pink coulor and as hard as nails

DavidCarr and jay like this.
  2. magyar vizsla

magyar vizsla Superb Contributor

I've had a concern with it forming a skin on plaster as though it hadn't impregnated into the plaster so instead of giving wall an undiluted second coat I gave it 3 coats of diluted primer. This seemes to stop it skinning and peeling.

Andy Carroll likes this.
  3. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

4. Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll Serious Contributor

Just to let everybody know the primer dried fine!with 2 coats of 3-1 it must of had a reaction to the paint? ;)

5. Mark@CTD

Mark@CTD Tiling Product Supplier

I'm not sure I'd use this, or any similar primer neat, Weber PR 360 dries like glass if used neat, I'd always stick to 3-1 on porous substrates, and 1-1 on non porous.

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Did you try to peel it off after it had dried

7. Andy Carroll

yes jay it was fine.......

jay likes this.
  8. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Andy, was Mark able to offer any further advice on this?

9. Andy Carroll

No Dave! I've spoke to him since.

10. AMA Tiling

AMA Tiling Top Notch Contributor

Primers are and their recommended application are strange. I recall back in the days of unibond(pva) where guys hadn't diluted it enough. It has similar consistency to a styrene acrylate primer (ie Weber PR 360 ) but it formed a skin which peeled off especially on gypsum plaster(scraped/sanded) Wasn't much hope of it holding tiles!!! That's why I'm baffled with the two coats method especially the "neat" one that the manufacturers suggest. I think with experience you get to know what works best. But to me too much is not a good thing. Glad all is well with the tilemaster now Andy. Hoping to try it pretty soon. Its Not that widely available here yet..... But it's coming :)

Andy Carroll likes this.
  11. Andy Carroll

It's a very good adhesive Aidy! That's the only problem I've had. Everyday is a learning day!!!! Lol

12. AMA Tiling

It sure is, that's why we go out every day I suppose. Keeps us interested :) looking forward to trying the gear.

Andy Carroll likes this.
  13. Andy Carroll

I'm using the lightweight mostly and the ultimate! ;)

AMA Tiling likes this.
  14. Mark@Tilemaster Adhesives

Mark@Tilemaster Adhesives Tiling Products Support

Lets keep in mind also that substrates and conditions vary. Concrete screeds, plastered walls etc etc will not all respond in exactly the same way. We try and make our instructions as generic as possible.

On this occasion, I genuinely couldn't understand why this was happening with Primeplus on Andy's substrate. I didn't have the answers because it was something I hadn't heard of before. Lets also be mindful that we are trying to picture what is being described to us over the telephone. On this occasion Andy was explaining what had happened and he wanted answers there and then and I couldn't understand why this was happening.

As mentioned in this topic, the neat coat isn't always necessary and I would admit that for certain substrates it is over-kill. Some really good points made and we certainly take your views on board. I will ask our 2 Chemists to work on this and I will inform you of our progress.

15. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

He can be an excitable little Mancunian can't he?! ;)

Andy Carroll likes this.
  16. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

I've never used TM Primer but I had the same issues with Weber PR360. Had to be diluted a lot more than suggested on skim.

17. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Let us know how it goes
    thanks

18. garythetiler

garythetiler Serious Contributor

just read this thread and we found there was a reaction to some paints but so we used the flexmaster as a primer on painted surfaces ,with the tile master range we generally use prime plus on all cement based surfaces and new plaster , as an admix when slurry bonding and as an admix when bonding to metal surfaces, with wooden surfaces and painted surfaces we use flexmaster as a primer/admix as we have found it performs better and is more compatible , we did have some mdf last week which even bal fast flex didnt bond to so we asked the bulider to replace it with some ply and it worked fine with the flexmaster and setaflex

19. Andy Carroll

Cheers for that Gary! Ill give the flex master a go for priming paint?

20. AMA Tiling

I leave it up to customer now regarding paint. I make them aware of potential pitfalls then if they want it off they pay me or take it off themselves. Most now are keen to take it off when they hear of potential failure or if i push & refuse to tile it: I always get a laugh when I hear "the plumber/ joiner/neighbour said you just need to paint unibond on it", in fact that's a lot of people's solution for everything lol.