1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Tiling In Purley

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by AOS Tiling, Jul 19, 2013.

1. AOS Tiling

AOS Tiling Superb Contributor

Hand Painted Italian Tiles

Completed today. Not quite my cup of tea but client is delighted, having brought a 'little bit of home' over from Italy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374248938.930228.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374248957.867930.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374249061.449771.jpg

jay likes this.
  2. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

They look nice, I don't think the field tile suits them though.

AOS Tiling likes this.
  3. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Serious Contributor

Yeah they bought a little bit of 70's Italy home with them!

Freeze likes this.
  4. Lee@TileTown

Lee@TileTown Tiling Product Supplier

I don't get it at all........every agent is bringing these sort of tiles in ATM.......I know it's the new thing........but it's just not my thing....

That said.......tidy work Andrew ;)

5. AOS Tiling

These were purchased direct in Italy Lee and transported back by clients. IMO I'd prefer any home improvement to be in keeping with the property and this property is in Surrey, not in Sicily. But then again, this property isn't mine and the clients were very good to work with. I'm posting on here to see who might like them.

Lee@TileTown likes this.
  6. ATS Diamond Tools

ATS Diamond Tools Tiling Product Supplier

I really like the feature tile but they need something around them to soften the transition to the field tile - a border of sorts.

I like the practicality of tiling a downstairs of property in the UK, particularly if you have dogs. I know what you're saying about keeping things period though.

I lived in Purley for about 5 years.

AOS Tiling likes this.
  7. AOS Tiling

Spot on, they have a dog and that was their thinking. I agree, a different field tile might have worked better but not sure which type or shade as the painted
    ones just aren't growing on me.

Up the hill from Purley Cross, A 1960s property bordering Riddlesdown Common.

8. ray

ray Superb Contributor

hope they dont know these are a morish design copped from spain and were probaly made in servill but then again it not the first tile thats italy has claimed as there own havent laid those tiles for at least 20 years .but you did a good job there

9. AOS Tiling

I think they're genuine Ray - they have a signature on them (not clear in the photos) and I got the impression they knew the source in that they got them locally in Sicily.

Just out of interest, do you like them? Would you have them in another setting?

10. AOS Tiling

..... just read me post back - Sicily!!!!

Ray, you may well be onto something!

11. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Sicilly is Italy.

12. ray

ray Superb Contributor

concarete hard core springs to mind

13. ray

ray Superb Contributor

dont think they make tiles there could be rong have to aks the cos a nostra:eek:

14. AOS Tiling

I know, Sicily is Sicily!!! That was my point!

15. branty1uk

branty1uk Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

You can make tiles anywhere.

16. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

anywhere///

17. Colour Republic

Careful what you say guys, I'm half Sicilian and I wouldn't want to have to call my nonno!!

AOS Tiling likes this.
  18. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

nonno????

19. Colour Republic

Grandfather Jay ;)
    Sadly I can't call him as the poor sods been dead nearly 10 years but he's the meanest ******* I ever knew.. not to family you understand.

Saying that my cousin's a bit of a lump, looks like butter wouldn't melt but piss him off I wouldn't! I remember a few years ago I met him in Milan for some lunch outside Il Duomo. All the tables and chairs from the various cafe's all mingle in to one outside, we got something to eat and went outside. A few minutes later a waiter came over and told us we had to move as we had sat one table too far to the right... Now Sicilian has a different dialect to italian so when he said to the waiter "This is my cousin and I haven't seen him for years, now if you embarress me in front of him again I sware to God I will bury you under the pavement you're standing" The waiter had no choice but to take him for his word. :whistling:

In fact got plenty of stories where the Sicilian language has dramatic effect. Another one when I was with my father and the same cousin driving from England all the way to Palermo in Sicily (Where my family are from). We were driving through Naples which is regarded as one of the most deprived areas of Italy and suddenly this car started cutting us up.. slowing down cutting us up... and again. They had clearly spotted the english number plates and decided to have some fun. Now my cousin was jumping up and down begging my father to stop the car and dump them in the woods. No need, my father wound down the window, spoke a few choice words in Sicilian and not the english they were expecting, it appeared as if the ground just swallowed them up. Instantly disappeared. I was maybe only 10 at the time but from that day sicilian is all I wanted to learn, not italian:laugh:

Whoops... errrr back on topic... nice tiles!

20. Freeze

Freeze Serious Contributor

Theirs no accounting for taste, it does nothing for me, but you you can only fix what the clients choose....tidy job all the same

AOS Tiling likes this.