1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Tiling In Purley

Discussion in 'Tilers Forum' started by AOS Tiling, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

My parents witnessed a "hit" outside a shop in Sicily some years back. They said it was weird how everyone carried on as normal :eek:

2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Serious Contributor

Thing is GD it's sounds like a voilent city and in many ways it is but not for the bystander, there is always a very good reason for it and so mindless violence is much less common than the UK. People don't walk around in fear, if you're not involved then you have nothing to worry about.

It can be horribly graphic. On one visit I remember just around the corner from where I was staying with family this guy had pulled up at some traffic lights, windows down as searing hot, motorbike pulls up along side, leans in and cuts his throat but then goes further by cutting his tougne out all in a matter of seconds. The message is clear... You talk too much. People accept it.

Things don't escalate if the punishment dealt out was deserved. About 10 years ago a member of my own family, my fathers cousin, was sitting outside cafe enjoying a coffee, two guys ride by on a motorbike and the guy on the back hits him 17 times with a machine gun. Very quickly found out who was behind it and why, it turns out my fathers cousin shouldn't have been doing what he was doing and so you have to accept it. If you hold your hands up and say 'hey I would have done the same' then it ends there. Of course it creates bad blood but you can't retaliate if what somebody was dealt was deserved.

The Mafia were held in high regard as they brought order and honour to Sicily, not so much now as they have lost control of that order slightly and things are a little bit more blured around the edges and so there is a backlash. It's hard to explain, it's just a way of life that is simple to live by.

For all it's faults, Palermo and Sicily is a great place to live and I'm very proud to have roots there. Absolutly crazy at times if for nothing more than the driving. If you can drive in Sicily you can drive anywhere in the world! Roundabouts don't have a single file of cars going round they go round 3 cars wide! If you see a space you take it! Wing mirrors are null and void in Sicily, the simple rule is, if somebody is behind you it's there problem!:laugh:

3. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Cross that one off the list of places to visit :eek:

4. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

My parents were with my cousin who is Italian - he understands it as you say and so they didn't freak out too much. They just said it was shocking in two ways - the head shot and then the way the waiter simply stepped over the body and carried on serving as if nothing was wrong!