1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Topical Sealer's In Wet Areas

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Graeme Smith, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith Junior Contributor

Anyone use topicals in bathrooms I generally do not use topicals but was looking at an Indian slate and the customer wanted a satin finish. The obvious product is Lithofin slate seal although it could be too shiny but I hate removing solvent based products.
    Anyone used a water based topical that will stand up to people stepping in and out of the shower and getting the floor finish very wet. I am concerned about rapid dulling as the bath panels are also slate. I'll just enhance the slate shower floor which I usually do but she don't want dull anywhere else!

2. Lithofin bob

Lithofin bob Junior Contributor

Ideally You would not use solvent or water based topical sealers in any wet room bathroom situation , walls or floors. impregnators only inc colour enhancers. These will all leave a Matt finish. Maintain with the correct products , keep on top of salt/ water residues and these products will be fine.
    Main reason that moisture can penetrate the finish, which will then turn white generally , what we decribe as dead seal. Also they will dull as soap and shampoo residues attack the finish.
    Also on floors there is the issue of slip.
    Please do not use slate seal, this will go white and states on instruct not to be used in wet areas or bathrooms.

3. Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith Junior Contributor

Seems to be the general consensus thanks for the reply.