1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum Unacceptable....so What Went Wrong??!!

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys and girls. You may or may not have noticed that a thread I started a couple of weeks ago about a bad tiling job, has been removed.

So I want to explain why I removed it and why I think we should revisit this one.

Firstly, I found myself a little to personally involved and an unbiased point of view on my part went flying out the window. I think as a forum and it's members, we can pride ourselves on the way we maintain an unbiased attitude as a whole within the forum.

I had it brought to my attention though, that perhaps we should not be too hasty to condemn someone and their work, regardless of how bad it is. And I agree.

I think instead of scaring anyone away with our criticism we might focus on what went wrong and discuss this with the aim of providing a lesson to be learned by all, including the tiler in question and anyone else that will benefit from our observations on a job gone wrong.
    Of course I invite your honest views on this.
    But in the meantime I'll put the pics back to look at so we can observe what went wrong and how we might have avoided the mistakes in this particular case.
    20120906_193031.jpg 20120906_193236.jpg 20120906_193309.jpg 20120906_193322.jpg DSCF2431.JPG DSCF2434.JPG DSCF2436.JPG DSCF2438.JPG 20120906_193031.jpg 20120906_193236.jpg 20120906_193309.jpg 20120906_193322.jpg 20120906_193322.jpg DSCF2431.JPG DSCF2434.JPG DSCF2436.JPG DSCF2438.JPG

For instance the stepped cuts between the bath. What may we have done to avoid this. Now I know that seems like a silly question to some of us, but to some it obviously is not.

So, silly questions are welcome and the more you ask them the less mistakes you will make, and the less mistakes the more work you will get in the future.

jay and DavidCarr like this.
  2. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

For one this guys needs to use a levelling system if he cannot get them right.. A good case of laying by eye and not feel, fingers will tell you eveything even 1/2 mm.
    He has not been taught how to flip the tile face to the wall and mark the tile to the level line, will be perfect every time especially along a bath.

Bob Neary likes this.
  3. ray

ray Superb Contributor

what went wrong. he turned up:mad: got paid . that old one it will be all wright in the end .it never is .why do so many clients say i new it was not wright but let them continue:confused:

jay likes this.
  4. Bob Neary

Yeah dean, a typical example where the level system can work.
    From what I understood about them is that relying on them to level the floor is a no no. Like you said prep the floor or wall before using them should remove any chance of voids?

Dean Nicholl likes this.
  5. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

Yes for sure, foundation is everything and the floors are not getting any better. Plenty of grinding and FLC going down.
    Oh well another thing to charge for I guess

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Nope couldn't live with that bathroom

7. Bob Neary

The walls were apparently a bit wobbly, weather they were or not a solution for a bumpy wall would be what?
    Timber framed, gibbed could have been rendered?
    This might be ok if it's available.
    http://www.ardex.co.uk/pdfs/ARDEX AM100.pdf

Not sure if ok for timber framed, gibbed walls. If anyone knows. Let us know.
    If it does and can be tiled after 2 hours sounds good.