1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum What Adhesive Do You Use

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by jay, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

What did he give you, Jay? I don't recognize any of their prod. Except of course custom.
    Have you tried any custom prod?

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Dont know yet Bobby just got a call from local supplier to say he had sent 3 bags to trial and give feedback (nice) as for custom prods not yet

3. Bob Neary

The custom products like Custom Prolite and ARDEX x77 use the same lightweight technology which means lighter material but same yield apparently.

4. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

Yea I have enjoyed it.. Proflex is a great glue, just bought out their screed and levelling compound. One of the others is now a c2s2

5. Bob Neary

I had Paul Hunter from CTA NZ email me the other day about Custom Building prod. Hes had a look at the forum and likes what he sees. I'm hoping he will register and give us the benefit of his expertise and any news on their products.

DavidCarr, Jacqui and jay like this.
  6. Jacqui

Jacqui Auckland Area Manager - Tile Direct

We have sold the CTA product now for a year - A66 is a C2S2 adhesive and the glues range from A10 - A100 (10 being your basic glue and 100 being top of the line and incredibly fast setting). Good grading system and Paul backs it up with great knowledge. We have had excellent feedback from tilers and are going really well with it.

Bob Neary likes this.
  7. Dean Nicholl

Cheers Jacqui
    Wow I did not realize they had quite an extensive range, I have just seen a few now that Tile Depot has taken on the range. I have been after a good glue to use for an up and coming Marble job and thought Ardex X77 was going to be my only way with the fast set and moisture retention technology. Maybe I will give Paul a ring and see what he advises.

8. Jacqui

Yea their marble one which he will probably reccomend is the Opticure which is reccomended for moisture sensitive stones etc. :)

Bob Neary likes this.
  9. Dean Nicholl

Great.. What sort of cost is that a bag out of interest, is it a 20kg or 15. X77 seems to be trade $75 15kg bag

10. Jacqui

We retail it in Auckland for $65 + GST for a 20kg bag.

11. Jacqui

Sorry by retail I mean sell lol...trade is $65 and normal retail is $85.

12. Dean Nicholl

Thanks Jacqui.. Same price bigger bag. I like it so will investigate further.

Jacqui likes this.
  13. Jacqui

Bob Neary likes this.
  14. Bob Neary

There you go Dean, just like that. Nice work Jacqui

15. Bob Neary

Just a thought. Do you use a particular adhesive based on price or quality? How do you judge adhesives? What do you consider to choose the best adhesive for you?
    I think too that coverage is a factor but not necessary considered enough when selecting an adhesive.
    How important is our selection of product to our business. What would you guys expect to pay per m2.
    Answering these questions may be helpful to all tradesmen especially as we have such a wide range of products to choose from.
    After all these years in the industry I continue to learn new aspects of the trade whether it be product or technique. I don't believe anyone will ever come to know everything there is to know about the trade.
    That's because the industry continues to change. The substrates change. The climatic conditions change. The type of tiles used change. If we don't keep up with these changes we expose ourselves to the dreaded word "failure" when this happens and it's a matter of using the wrong product for that particular situation, then we risk developing a bad reputation, and reputation is what determines our success in our business.

jay likes this.
  16. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

I use the adh I know and trust price would be my last worry

17. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Same as Jay. Trusted quality first, price and freebies last.
    I'm open to try new products though, as long as they meet my personal criteria on quality.

Bob Neary likes this.
  18. Bob Neary

Like the two of you I've always used the best product for the job, but that can sometimes be a head scratcher what with so many products available.
    Some guys are just using the cheapest and just one for all applications.
    Talking about the best and most suitable adh. should be a regular occurrence. That's why I believe the tile companies can play a better role to educate the tilers. I'm not saying that most tilers don't know what to use. But sometimes we may not be aware of a particular product, perfect for the situation. Product demos held by your local supplier will achieve this and are available now.
    The other thing too I've learned is, once you have established with your local supplier your product requirements and plan to use the product often, then don't be shy about asking them for a special price. After all we(the supplier) want what's best for you believe it or not. The simple fact of the matter is that without you, there would be no one to install our tiles. No installers = no installation = no one buying tiles.
    In fact you can even be rewarded by sending customers to our stores now.
    The other way to learn about latest prod. Is right here on the forum. So if any reps are available, product reviews right here on the forum will always be welcome.
    Please don't forget, this forum was established for the benefits of the tradesmen and their customers. Any communication from supply businesses on the forum should be viewed as such and is welcome.

19. mcdongle

mcdongle New Contributor

Ardex x52 $36 a bag for floors MPP for walls

20. Diamond Pool Finishers

Diamond Pool Finishers Serious Contributor

Ardex & Weber :)