1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum What Adhesive Do You Use

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by jay, Sep 1, 2012.

1. magyar vizsla

magyar vizsla Superb Contributor

Tilemaster mainly now.

2. Richard NZ

Richard NZ New Contributor

Has anyone else experienced a problem with Ardex X77 not sticking to tile or substrate, we have completed a number of exterior stone with Ardex X77 without a problem, but a job we did some 12-18 months ago has seen the tiles start to fall off the block walls. Specified products were used and we are adamant the product was mixed and applied as manufacturers instructions. The phrase premature aging of the glue has been used but we can't get an explanation or confirmation on whether this has caused the problem. I would be interested in any comments?

3. Dean Nicholl

Dean Nicholl New Contributor

Unfortunately I have heard this before with X77. Bit of a concern since I used it for a big Marble Job too..

4. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Bit more info may help or pics of the back of the tile and substrate were it has failed .
    Has the adh debonded from the substrate clean or the tile clean or has it just split the adh.
    is the adh firm or has it gone powdery .
    Abit of a description on the fixing method used (primers age of substrate ect ) might help

DavidCarr likes this.
  5. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Hi Richard,
    Personally not heard of any problem with X77. We stock it at the Tile Warehouse.
    Same as Jay. More info please
    I'll give our rep a call tomorrow.
    Never heard of pre maturing age etc.
    Except in my self at times.
    Could be a number of things . Usually not a product failure.
    Could be delamination due to moisture reacting with any pre coating including priming.
    If the whole system from surface prep and priming to grouting and sealing is completed using products from same supplier as a complete system, you shouldn't have this trouble.
    But, you do.
    The best thing would be to get a rep in to take a look and start asking the right questions.
    X77 is a premium product and as mentioned I've heard no Bad feedback.
    Ill try to get our rep to hop on line and discuss this with you.
    I almost sure it won't be product failure but not always application failure either.
    Quite often it is the conditions and this particular situation that may have produced the perfect storm.