1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum What Can I Do With An Installed Scratched Tile?

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by Bob Neary, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys this ones for all. We have a customer who has had our tiles installed in their bathroom and a very nice job done. They are 60x60 cm polished porcies. But one has a light gauge/scratch in it. They have 1mm joints. Yes I know it's less than ideal but with almost zero lipping it looks really good.
    As far as i can see there are 2 options. 1) remove, risking damage to others (1mm joint problematic here I think)
    Or 2) repair insitu. Possibly by filling and honing/polishing back.
    Thought if you can get a scratch or chip on your windscreen repaired it may be possible to do the same on the porcelain.
    Possible???
    Anyone know if it is?

2. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Remove it

3. Albert

Albert Awesome Contributor

I dont think you will be able to polish successfully Bob
    You may just make it worse

4. Frank

Frank New Contributor

5. Bob Neary

I think some of the scratch is too deep. It just catches my fingernail. Is there anyway of filling it and then polishing. Just trying to make the solution less destructive as possible.
    Also just your opinion on who should wear this. The scratch had to of happened either before they were packaged or after the tile was taken out of the box. Either way should the tiler have spotted it?
    IMO the tilers work was immaculate, and find it hard to believe he just let it go. Or he just couldn't see it.
    If it was my decision I'd just remove it and fix the tiler up for doing it. Leaves the customer happy. And our rep. Intact if not better.Yes? No?

6. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Sometimes if you drag a full tile off the stack the tile you drag will scratch the next tile in the stack ,best to just fix it .the tiler should be responsible as most manufactures state on the box once fixed no claims

7. TomAstley

TomAstley Junior Contributor

how can anyone prove who scratched it?

Removal is the best option but we have used wax (not candle wax) before to try and eliminate scratches. This stuff is very hard and needs to be melted in place with a blowtorch. Once set (cools very quickly), use a stanley window scraper to 'slice' off the excess and then use the finest wet and dry possible (if needed) to smooth. The biggest problem with this method is colour matching.

Any decent granite/marble yard would tell you where to get hold of the wax.

Bob Neary likes this.
  8. Mattonella

Mattonella Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Tiler is ultimately responsible for using a faulty tile. However, can it be proved that the scratch didn't happen after he'd installed it?

9. Grace's Dad

Grace's Dad Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Cover it in two or three layers of self adhesive plastic and smash it to pieces to get it out without damaging the surrounding tiles.

10. Bob Neary

thanks guys. Ill be following this up tomorrow. will investigate the options and will go from there.

11. Bob Neary

Explained that although the tile was faulty, the tiler didn't give us the chance to replace the tile by installing it.
    But as a gesture of goodwill, we will pay to have replaced. Just hope they are really careful.
    But I'll still investigate the option of filling and polishing. Just for future reference at least.

TomAstley and jay like this.
  12. mcdongle

mcdongle New Contributor

In my experience its the last bit of adhesive you remove that chips the next tile :( let us know how it goes Bob
    have done hundreds of these in Christchurch over the last 18 months its soul destroying lol