1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NZ Tilers Forum What Is The Standard In Nz For Waterproofing

Discussion in 'NZ Tilers Forum' started by jay, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jay

jay Awesome Contributor

Or if not applied by a certified installer no warranty

2. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks but it was Alec's idea and a good one.
    Not sure if anyone would want to be the first to put their hand up and say "no cert. no sale!!"
    In reality though, if the product does get into the hands of a non certified applicator And if mr. And mrs. Bloggs doesn't know to ask for a cert.
    And the applicator doesn't have a clue then you have the perfect storm.
    You won't stop the madness but I think that if major parties get on board with such a "no cert, no sale" rule then we will be able to put up at least one checkpoint within an industry that has none atm.
    Then turn attention to educating the mr. And mrs. Bloggs. At least via building consent requirements that will only be granted and signed off only with the registered details of certified applicators. Another checkpoint.
    There are ways to promote industry education. We've not long had the new building code requirements released by the media to everyone. Surely it won't take too much to do the same.
    And if the excuse not to, because it's not important enough. Then try telling the Bloggs down the road who have to spend $30000+ to fix the mess a leaky shower has caused.

3. nick salt

nick salt New Contributor

I'm in Otago, so as long as the tanking is blue they seem to nod and smile....... You're right though, most 'Inspectors' wouldn't know the whats or why fores

4. Alec De martin

Alec De martin New Contributor

one of the biggest problems with internal waterproofing, if not the biggest, is the likes of Mitre 10 and Bunnings selling 4 ltr packs of w/p across the counter. I suspect that with all the training by the adhesive companies in the last few years, the likelihood of issues arising with their applicators is greatly reduced, can't say that with Joe Public buying stuff at the hardware shop. Unfortunately, when a tiler goes to repair a job, there is no way he knows who did it in the first place. Stop Mitre 10 and Bunnings selling w/p, and we may have a chance. Note, they do not sell torch-on membranes or butyl sheets etc.

Dean Nicholl and jay like this.
  5. Bob Neary

Bob Neary Tiling Forum Moderator Staff Member

That's because there are no fixed and enforceable regs concerning W/P.
    But I believe a code of practice is in the wind. How's that going Alec?

6. Alec De martin

Alec De martin New Contributor

I understand it is at the printers, I will find out and get back.