1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would You Do With This One

Discussion in 'Tile Cleaning & Restoration' started by Graeme Smith, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith Junior Contributor

Black limestone looks like a polished stone that has been partially bush hammered (photos don't do it justice its a right mess) and if you already think it looks like a mess its worse in real life!

Laid badly nice lips on it and acid etched to kingdom come and the icing on the cake is its scratched nicely and they stick out beautifully as its a black tile. Some tiles have a grey washed out look.

Customer will not have it ground down and you would lose the textured effect if you did.

My thoughts are

Clean it, hone it with powder to try and get an even starting point across the entire floor then a fine grit flexible pad, polishing powder and a colour enhancer to try to hide some of the worst scratches and darken the tile down again. Might get an improvement but the scratches will not go.

Any advances on that.

2. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Joe @ Hillhead Tiling Awesome Contributor

3. amir patwa

amir patwa Serious Contributor

There are brushes and special powders which will solve your problem and give your customer a beautiful floor!
    A similar tread has appeared in other "forum"

4. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

I'd say it needs grinding, typical you sell your levi lately too , oops .
    If you have plenty on I'd be so tempted to walk.

5. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

Di
    Diamond brushes Amir?
    I was thinking that, chat to Rob too Graeme.

6. Graeme Smith

Won't pay for grinding no chance not in a million years, they thought it just wanted cleaning!!

AMA Tiling likes this.
  7. amir patwa

Yes just cleaning! Grinding is not the solution ! Will remove the texture!
    With perfect consumable you can carry this work even with a Jayes or Victor swing machine or if the area of the stone is not large you can do it with a deck brush!

8. amir patwa

Graeme there are enough tooling on auction on the forum that can do the restoration work for your customer. Dave Carr has some useful pads!
    Universal sealants have also donated consumables to help u carry out satisfactory work to the satisfaction of your customer !

9. Graeme Smith

My impression of diamond brushes is they will dimple or create a weathered look a floor eventually - used them on sandstone ok but not much better than alk and polyprop brush on the last one they did not do it for me. Used on Victorian geometric they were good for heavy cleaning.

Don't fancy running them all over a floor without knowing they will work and have them bite me on the ass. The deep scratches are all over the floor.......

10. amir patwa

Have you spoken to Marblelife? Usually Klindex will refund you for brushes which were not satisfactory ! May be they were Chinese

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  11. Graeme Smith

That's where my brushes are from!! although I can buy them elsewhere was not sure how they handled deep scratches over 50m2

12. amir patwa

Works wonders! With appropriate powders! Will remove the scratches and if you want it will give you glass finish

13. DavidCarr

DavidCarr Tiling Forum Admin Staff Member

Why won't they have it ground down? Cost?

14. Graeme Smith

Correct - usual story. Brushes seem a route but not sure how they will work on a lippy polished stone. Thought the back ground of them were fro stone masons etc to put on a hand polisher to weather the stone - told it can dimple polished stones and apart from claims that they can 'work' not seen any evidence other than on forums. No offence intended to suppliers or users but I can see applications and will use them in the future for certain things I do but wary of banging a 120 grit or less straight on some customers floor on someone else's say so.

15. Graeme Smith

Dim wit sorry photos were not uploaded

swiftbf2.JPG swiftbf1.JPG

amir patwa likes this.
  16. DavidCarr

I personally wouldn't use brushes in that floor. I'd use diamond maintenance pads, some decent cleaner and ensure the customer understands and appreciates the limitations of restoring the floor without the grinding phase. Beggars can't be choosers.

17. Graeme Smith

Dave if I do it that's basically the plan already told them not to expect the scratches out just the overall condition improved.

18. Joe @ Hillhead Tiling

When you see your reflection in the floor the customer will smile, they will get what they pay for like everything else .

19. Graeme Smith

True problem with customers is they often want more than they pay for.

20. DavidCarr

I always work with the law of opposites, anything they say will be the complete opposite of what they really want.